Having a spot of tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
One of these days one of these damn birds will land near to me at a sensible distance and hour with good light conditions so i am not trying to keep a 750mm lens steady and having to use 3200ISO to get a reasonable shutter speed!!!

Redkite1_edited-1-1.jpg
Redkite2.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
One of these days one of these damn birds will land near to me at a sensible distance....

i feel compelled to ask.....what was the "not sensible" distance that these photos were taken at?

love the top one by the way, the mouldy old fence post/bit of wire/bird of prey combination is right up there with the best of the wildlife photo's IMO. top work chap

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
The fencepost is a telegraph pole, this was shot from my upstairs bedroom window.

Distance?.....probably about 70metres. Using my Nikon D300 and sigma 120-500mm lens with the crop factor of the smaller sensor it makes the lens a 750mm. and it was quite a tight crop from the image hence the loss of quality

I'm just being picky, obviously i would prefer they land about 5metres away and in nice bright light. Standard photography stuff, i'm never happy with the result!!

Last edited:

Beansprout

Tenderfoot
Gorgeous photo. Very jealous of your 500mm lens... I have a 200 on my D40, I can just about get the birds in my back garden from my sofa :D Trying to photograph seagulls flying in the wind is another challenge I quite like. You were lucky enough to have a poser though! Nice one :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE