haversack or Daysack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
First a question? Does anyone know the litre size of the Pathfinder haversack by Dave Canterbury.

also whats your choice = Why do some/you prefer a haversack over a small daysack

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Originally "habersack", 18th century term denoting a soldiers bag to carry oats (haber) for horse food.
If just out for a short daunder I do like a satchel/habersack as it carries more than enough and has space to collect/forage as I go. Being over the shoulder it allows you easier access as it swings 'round to where you need it. Usually use a Barbour® game/cartridge bag. Hard wearing, well laid out; main compartment and two smaller pockets for little things.
Also looks okay and not like some dodgy manbag.
(Interestingly, well to boring old me "knapsack" is middle low German circa 17th century from the Dutch "knapsack" which in turn seems to come from the German "knappen" which means "to bite". So they all seem to be about having something to eat apart from "rucksack" which comes from the German "rucken" for "back".
Sorry for being sad and padding out a simple question.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
For a day walk a canvass satchel That I added internal pocket and top flap inner sleeve.
For a day +1 a small canvass bergen.
I do like canvass, gets wet maybe but easy to dry, anything that needs to be dry in a waterproof container. Had a nylon pack it eventually got wet but it took forever to dry.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Originally "habersack", 18th century term denoting a soldiers bag to carry oats (haber) for horse food........."knapsack" is middle low German circa 17th century from the Dutch "knapsack" which in turn seems to come from the German "knappen" which means "to bite". So they all seem to be about having something to eat apart from "rucksack" which comes from the German "rucken" for "back"..."

Thanks for that, interesting stuff.

I have used a Barbour bag as a habersack...

hat.jpg

But these days tend to use a my tacticool bumbag instead...

PB100003.JPG

When it comes to shoulder bags I reckon there is some scope for someone to develop a buckle that would allow the wearer to quickly hitch the bag up under the arm for when the wearer has to pick up the pace, rather like several courier bag brands provide.

:)

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
canteen shop do 2 sizes

http://www.canteenshop.com/packs.html

but they are pretty easy to make otherwise there are dozens of mil surplus variations out there

personally I tend to carry a drawstring back pack for my days out- and couple it with a cycling mussette bag for foraging stuff

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
When it comes to shoulder bags I reckon there is some scope for someone to develop a buckle that would allow the wearer to quickly hitch the bag up under the arm for when the wearer has to pick up the pace, rather like several courier bag brands provide.

:)

My Finnish haversack has a weight belt which makes it very stable when you walk with it at any speed, and still allows easy access to the bag.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I like my Helikon wombat satchel for wandering about in the woods but always go for a day pack when doing any serious walking. The wombat did come with a hip belt but I took it off, although I see it would stop it bouncing about.

079_zpsdpm3kl3c.jpg

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
These days I'm using my Kifaru Tailgunner for wee dauners, sometimes with my waist belt,

On a longer walk, or wanting to take more kit, my Topo Klettersack

all depends on amount of kit I want to play with...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I prefer a backpack. Specifically I prefer a backpack with a decent waist strap to transfer the load. I find that with a single strapped bag that it imbalances my body.

The downside is that I have to take my pack off to access the contents.

J

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For me, I'd choose a daysack every time. Apart from the ballance/swinging about issue, I reckon that if you're stopping to get something from you haversack, you're going to pause - however briefly - anyway and have a break from your wanderings. Taking off your daysack in that time requires no more effort and energy. I tried a 'shoulder bag thing', albeit sceptically, and found it to be a real pain: always in the wrong place, never quite able to hold enough, uncomfortable when filled/overfilled and the flap just getting in the way and making access to the actual bag difficult. I do like the retro look though and can see their value as a bag for foraging or gathering kindling and so on once camp has been established. But for a day's walk? I think not.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I use a single PLCE side pocket with straps and is plenty big enough and comfy to carry. Fasten two together and with a bedroll can stay the night.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I use a small backpack which I modified so that the straps unclip from the bottom of the pack and then clip together forming one shoulder strap. If I want it out of the way it's a backpack, if I want easier access or a change of position it's a haversack. Both modes have their advantages and disadvantages.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Afternoon bimbles with the dogs then my little messenger bag is fine for basic carry brewkit, camera gear etc. Anything longer or variable weather conditions then I grab my regular daypack, doubly so if I'm on a scavenger hunt. However on occasion I will use both with the shoulder bag being re-tasked as a chest rig depending on what I'm up to.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Would you post a picture of that please?

You asked for pictures of my finnish haversack with a waist belt. Here they are. I have a vague recollection of getting it from Endicotts, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember with certainty. I do recall I paid about a fiver for it. It has one large compartment with a divider on one site that fits a water bottle/canteen perfectly, and there are some small flat inside pockets as well. It is my normal day bag.

IMG_9129.jpgIMG_9130.jpg

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
whats your choice = Why do some/you prefer a haversack over a small daysack

My day bag of choice is the old British army webbing haversack - big enough for a thermos and sandwiches and maybe a waterproof, but that's about it. Its small carrying capacity is compensated for usually by a multi-pocketed body warmer and combat pants pockets (for knife, compass, map, smokes, mobile, wallet, whatever) plus a belt one can hang things off (binoculars, etc). I prefer to wear my kit around me, than carry it all in one bag.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I use a single PLCE side pocket with straps and is plenty big enough and comfy to carry. Fasten two together and with a bedroll can stay the night.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Rocket pouches are a challenge, until you realise that NI patrol sacks are sooooooo roomier...
Nice place in Wale, where Rocket pouches ensure tired men swear curse and reach for tape to fix broken buckles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE