Haveing some trouble finding walking boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Well i am a size 13 in feet soon to be size 14 i reckon if and when i have bought some walking boots they are not very wide as the simplest way to describe my feet is that of a hobbits.

So my question is do any of you wonderful members with big feet have any good suggestions

Cheers
CumbrianLad

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Aye.. don't buy blind like i did from evil bay.. i ordered a size 11.. they sent me a size 10 in Meindl desert fox boots. :(

I tried them on.. no good to small.

I contacted the seller.. and they emailed me a free returns label. Printed it off sent them back.

Last edited by a moderator:

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Aye.. don't buy blind like i did from evil bay.. i ordered a size 11.. they sent me a size 10 in Meindl desert fox boots. :(

I tried them on.. no good to small.

I contacted the seller.. and they emailed me a free returns label. Printed it off sent them back.

Exactly my point buddy its hard when you have big feet haha and id rather go of someone who can recommend a good site/boot to avoid the mishap you had to endure haha hopefully someone will be able to help me out if not i may have to look in to having some made but that costs alot ££££

Last edited by a moderator:

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Yes been there buddy they had one pair my size and they where to narrow for the width of my foot but I also never had that good of a customers service experience with them it was a young lass who kept going on her phone and just seemed to want to get rid off me

Sent from my VF-795 using Tapatalk

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
The problem with boots, is that if you order them online, you generally have no idea how they'll fit. You need to be able to try them on and test them for a bit. Boots are one of the things which i'll never rely on other people's opinion on, and which i have to try on before i buy them. Everyone's feet are different ;). For example: I have friends who swear by ABL combat boots. They never have any issues with them, but for me personally i get a full foot of blisters (heel, toes, front part of the foot, really everywhere other than the bridge) if i wear those. Followed by a couple of weeks healing (was one of the worst few weeks of my life, could hardly walk, both my feet were giant blisters.).

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
13 is pretty big, I see your problem. Mind you, some of the eBay and Amazon sites sell off the large sizes cheaply. Have a look at Merrill, I just bought a pair of loafing around summer shoes. I'm sure I found big size boots at good prices on my search.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
13 is pretty big, I see your problem. Mind you, some of the eBay and Amazon sites sell off the large sizes cheaply. Have a look at Merrill, I just bought a pair of loafing around summer shoes. I'm sure I found big size boots at good prices on my search.
Thanks buddy I'll have a look with any luck I'll see a pair thanks again mate

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Worst case scenario: go to a sporting goods store, ask if they can order them and you can try them on for size there etc. There are plenty of stores who "share" inventory by using a webshop, so mostly it's just shipping to another location and they don't lose money on it.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Worst case scenario: go to a sporting goods store, ask if they can order them and you can try them on for size there etc. There are plenty of stores who "share" inventory by using a webshop, so mostly it's just shipping to another location and they don't lose money on it.
Tried that in most shops mate but they all say for them to get them shipped you have to buy them and I don't really want to buy blind

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Meindl do a comfort fit range that are built on a wider last than there usual boot. They are worth a look at.
Louis

Yeah, Meindl are worth looking at, but finding a store/shop that holds appropriately sized stock is difficult, most places stocking the popular sizes only. A good shop however should be able to measure your feet and order in suitably sized boots for you to try.

Generally I find the fit/sizing of most outdoor boots to be on the small side when compared to "normal" shoe fit sizes.

I'm a UK 12 in my left foot, 11.5 in my right, but I struggle with UK size 12 boot sizes even though their meant to be sized to take a thick sock.

I recently bought a pair of hanwag approach shoes and was pleasantly surprised at the fit of the 12's, and ended up leaving the shop with an UK 11.5 that fitted my feet perfectly. They do a UK 13 which may well be on the large size, with room for growth.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
It sounds like you've already trawled around the shops in Keswick, but have you tried Craghill's Boot Store opposite Booths?

My feet are only size 10 but quite broad and I struggled to find boots that fit. The only ones that did were a pair of Zamberlans that they had in stock, and they did an internet price match that saved me 40 quid.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE