Have I dropped a clanger?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Hi Folks
For the last couple of months I've been infusing plums in brandy for a bit of festive tipple following pretty much the same process I've used for sloe gin and apple'n'blackberry brandy in the past. However someone has suggested that the fruit should have had the stone completely removed beforehand whereas I just slit the plum all around the outside and used them whole. Does anyone know for sure if this is OK or not? If it isn't I've blown a couple of months and about 4 ltrs of brandy!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I made some Umeshu with green plums and Voddy - the recipe stated to remove as much of the stalk as you could, but didn't mention the stones.

Have a sneaky taste!

sumpy00

May 30, 2011
King's Lynn
I seriously doubt it will do you any harm, when making wine you remove the stones because it will give a bitter taste to the wine but soaking in spirits, nothing adverse will happen. Like has been said before, it's ok with sloes.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I expect they are worried about the hydrogen cyanide in the seeds inside the stones. I'm sure I've eaten plums that have been preserved in alcohol and they had their stones in. I expect the alcohol will do you more harm in the long run though.

If you can't find a definitive answer it would be worth looking at this warning on the PFAF site, i.e. I would only be worried if the result was very bitter and I planned to drink vast amounts: http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Prunus+domestica

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Not sure if it helps, but when i was a kid my mum used to make vast quantities of damson jams and jellies , and one kind was preserved with the stones , and i remember sucking the flesh from many a stone along with the rest of the family and many happy customers, never did anyone any harm .

Some of the jars used to have mould under the greaseproof paper , just scraped it off and got on with it . Even swallowed the odd stone and i am still here !

Hi Folks
For the last couple of months I've been infusing plums in brandy for a bit of festive tipple following pretty much the same process I've used for sloe gin and apple'n'blackberry brandy in the past. However someone has suggested that the fruit should have had the stone completely removed beforehand whereas I just slit the plum all around the outside and used them whole. Does anyone know for sure if this is OK or not? If it isn't I've blown a couple of months and about 4 ltrs of brandy!

you'll be fine! chemical engineer's word... :D

(just wiki "tuica"... it's made from plums, without removing the stones)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE