Half Standing Fruit Trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Watching Hughs latest video featuring a very bountiful harvest of Cherries I had a little pang of jealousy.

For those of us without space for a full blown orchard but maybe do have the space for a couple of Half Standard fruit trees what are people considering to be worth the effort for the return?

I've two types of cherry , one plum and one Pear but its the cherry that continues to provide a usable if modest amount of produce to seemingly justify me watering and tending to it.

Any suggestions for other fruits that produce a bigger bang for their buck that can be grown at half standard?

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How about brown figs if you have a sunny wall? Its great to grow things that you either can't buy or are very expensive

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_143105.jpg
    IMG_20220716_143105.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: wookii and TeeDee

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Most apples are brilliant, but in limited space Arlington Pippin apples are amazing. They are an in between an eating and cooking apple, if I had to recommend one, it would that variety

Forgot to say, self fertile, and brilliant pollinator

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Many fruit trees need to be cross pollinated by a compatable variety & also have soil preferences, if you can grow cherries then you must have a alkaline-ish soil which most stoned fruits & nuts will appreciate. Most fruit trees can be grown as half standards but root stocks are primordial for the soil type, vigour & flower production.. The only problem is avoiding frosts during & just after flowering which rules out early flowerers like peaches & apricots unless you have a very sheltered garden.
I'm a big fan of apples & quince trees are very interesting too.. I have one & it's self pollinating but again, a late frost in may & you can kiss goodbye to any fruit. Mirabelles are absolutely delicious & may be compatable with your plum tree.
I have a couple of fig trees too but they are beasts & unless you grow them in containers,, it will take considerable work to keep them under control. The fruit ripen at the end of september & october & if it's cold the skins become thick & hard, rendering the fruit rather bitter. There are good & bad fig years even as far south as me.

Reactions: TeeDee and dwardo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE