Hats...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Find a shop and try one on - you want a slightly looser fit than a hat that needs to clamp on in a wind as the cords stop it flying off.
After washing you can stretch the fabric slightly over your knee if needed.
As to slightly small leather hats - soak the hat in warm water and put it on over a Buff to "Wet Mould" it to your head - I have done this with great success with a couple of manufacurers models! It even works with "waterproof" ones....
Dry the leather slowly so as not to invite cracking and give it a good waxing afterwards.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This is mine.

Bison-Shirt.jpg

It's twenty years old or so, I've travelled thousands of miles with it.

I rarely leave the house without it but I haven't a clue who it's made by.

I do recall that it's made of Roo skin but that's about it.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
This is mine.

Bison-Shirt.jpg

Why do I always think of Amanda Burton in silent witness when I see that picture?
must be the 'gazing meaningfully into the middle distance' look:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
A cheap as chips polycotton boonie which does the job nicely. A merino beanie when it's chilly and a chullo when it's brass monkeys.

I tried to make my own leather hat, but it felt like I was wearing a frying pan on my head, so it got recycled.

I keep thinking about getting a Tilley, but why are they so expensive for a cotton hat?

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Hi Marshall4771, (post No. 7)

I've had my Akubra Cattleman since 1996 and I wear it regularly, come rain or shine. It's been sat on, stood on, used for wafting fires, etc, etc, it's got plenty of stains on it and plenty of character now - but no sign of any holes yet and it looks as if it's got many more years left in it.

What I like about it most is that I can wear it for hours at a time and still not end up with an ugly 'hat ring' round my head when I take it off. I've found this to hold true for windy weather too, even though you do have to pull it on tight to prevent it from blowing away.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
This is mine.

Bison-Shirt.jpg

Catalogue man!!!!! :D

My headgear of choice is an ancient headscarf tied at the base of my hair behind my neck. Keeps my hair out of my eyes and off my neck and the sun off my head but it has to be the same old hippy headscarf I've had for about 20 years. A denim cotton brimmed ranger hat for other times but if it rains I just get wet or put the hood up on my waterproofs cos I get really hot wearing hats. Fleece snood thing I found on Ebay for the winter but that's mainly because OH will take the roof down on his car at the slightest sign of sun regardless of the outside temp!

I appreciate you chaps may look a little silly in the headscarf look......

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tilleys are expensive because they are guaranteed for life!
I have managed to rot my way through 3 of them so far and had them all repaced for free.
Truely a hat for life!

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I find that with the White Rock hats, the cooling works well but you need to size them to allow for the room the crystals take up when hydrated!
With most hats I kind of like it when they develop a bit of "character" so this is a plus point for me...
I have just started reviewing some of the Whitte Rock hats for a couple of mags and realy quite like them, finding them much better than some I have used in the past, one of their range seriously amongst my all time favourites now!

True I agree but for me I am now on XL ;) I managed to get the tilly on really well plenty of space, but this is a perfect fit when not useing the cool band (which does seem to work well!! i.e its cool) only it puts pressure on my head which gives the headaches!!..
So unless they have a XXl then I still stick to my origional report ;)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
http://www.penroseoutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/WhiteRock_Outback_Classic_Khaki.html

I have one of these its was a cheaper version than the tilly which I fancied, but after one trip it's corroiding !! ok it was a sea kayaking trip but still!..
on the vent holes there is corroision and the shapes gone!!
The cool max thing sticks in your head a bit when it gets wet and gives me a head ache..

That said.. its weatherproof warm yet cool to wear its got a wide brim keeps the sun out of your eyes and face and your neck!, it has bug repellent that seems to work ok and its an ok price..

There is a safety pocket in the hat for passport and such and a chin strap.. it wont fall off!! even in a storm ;) trust me..

Usability 9/10
Look after one trip 6/10

overall 7/10

I picked up a White Rock earlier in the year - I needed (wanted) a hat in this style but was in a hurry so grabbed the first decent looking thing off the rack in Cotswold's. I've been more than happy with it since, though the bug repellent doesn't work at all against the midgie. I've had mine in inland as well as coastal waters and not had a corrosion problem. The cooling strip, pointed out to me by GrahamS :D, works fantastically well.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Love it! :D

As for kit generally I am going to have to stop reading this forum as it's getting way too expensive for me now that I want a Tilley hat!

Head scarf still looks cooler at a festival tho...........

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
John, thats a great suggestion regarding stretching the hat! Its no really tight but the next size up war really big, and as there is no means of keeping it on when its windy I though tighter may be better....a smidge looser would be nice. Will give the wet forming a go.
Dry slowly??? In a carrier bag or something perhaps partly open?
Dave

haich

Jan 1, 2008
North West
you cant beat an akruba made out off 14 rabbit pelts had mine near 15 years been half way round the world moulds to your head perfectly

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have a felt cowboy hat I picked up in Calgary airport. I didn't see much of Canada except the rolling prairie of British Army Training Unit Suffield (BATUS), the hat is my little piece of Canada and I will take it home to visit one day. It keeps the rain and sun off, is cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold. It can also be used as a filter for water, and filters out very fine particulate matter. It has two uses and therefore is for winners!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Well mines an original confederate army slouch hat,as seen in my avitar i think spams seen it,the wife wasent very happy with the price 300 dollars,but its a piece of history,will take a pic of it tomorrow and post

Bernie

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I wear a Barmah Squashy in summer and a genuine issue East German cold weather hat in winter. Tried other styles of hats and always looked a right plank in them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE