Hats! what's on your head?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Tilley LT5B today...

29112ab7-25f3-4a29-994a-a1ff4044a41b_zps485d56c8.jpg

Or a possum merino beanie if its cold. I also have a Mammut baseball cap I found on top of Kinder Scout I'm quite fond of.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
  • Hemp Tilley hat.
  • 5.11 baseball cap. I must be lucky as mine is really comfortable and has no quality control issues.
  • DPM boonie hat - has no stiffening so it's ideal for shoving in the corner of a bag on days when a sunhat might be needed but I don't want to carry the Tilley.
  • Army gore-tex hat. My wife has banned me from wearing this in any situation where other people might see us together. I can't say I blame her as it does look pretty over the top but on a wet, cold day with the flaps down it's fantastic.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have an assortment. Which I wear depends on the needs of the particular outing but two of my more "all purpose" hats would be the Real Deal Brazil for general outdoor wear or even more "all purpose is my Akubra Snowy River. These two fit 99% of all my needs

After that I have a few baseball caps good for casual needs without a lot of need for protection from the elements

Third on the list is a nice Stetson that does quite well when I need something less casual (but TBH the Akubra does everything it does and does it better)

Fourth is an old styl safari helmet that's fantastic in hot climates as it's held away from your head and allows complete circulation while still givind perfect sun protection.

A couple of flat caps that do well when I just want to wear a hat with minimal need for protection from the environment. That needs a bit of further explanation: One of them is all lightweight cotton and gives only a bit of shade protecting only the very top of my head from sun damage (yes I'm prone to skin cancer) The other is a traditional English wool one and offers no more protection than the cotton one but is generally too hot to wear. BOTH of them fit well and look good though and are easy to stow when indoors.

In the past I've had and liked a number of other broad brimmed hats, including one waxed cotton one that apart from also being somewhat hot, was an excellent hat. and various insulated hunting caps such as these: www.shopping.com/orange-hunting-hats-with-ear-flaps/products both in orange and more subdued colors.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
unless it's raining i do'nt wear a hat or basecap (==poor man's umbrella) as rain and glasses do'nt agree with each other. otherwise i only wear headbands (and stopped counting how many times i got stupid ""rambo"" jokes about it :aargh4:) as they do'nt restrict my sight and prevent sweat from running into my eyes.

when I had long hair I used a Buff as a headband all the time, and yes I agree the Rambo jokes get tiresome :D

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've worn bandanas as a headband for years but it's a little gangster these days.. I'll have a nose for some flat caps and maybe a few trucker/baseball caps on t'morrow!

Tilley do a winter hat, has anyone got this oe?? it looks a little less jungle explorer and little more old man :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ah yes the baseball cap

fail-owned-hat-fail.jpg

tan-fail-cap.jpg

in fact generally

epic_fail_hat_baseball_cap-p233952063516813302qpj5o_512.jpg

Allowable on American farmers, truckers and softball players wearing makeup. If you must wear one, you need to combine it "wiv a hoodie and nikes innit"

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Currently its either my EDZ merino beanie or my bike helmet, other than that I haven't really worn a hat recently, although in the past I have spent many many hours in my jack pyke traveller hat, which is a surprisingly good hat for 7quid :-D

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
Now that it's summer, I usually wear either a baseball cap or a boonie cap, in a number of patterns, from plain khaki to multicam and flecktarn.

In winter, I wear a variety of wool watch caps, from Arcteryx, Patagonia, and Buff. I also use a couple of wool peaked hunting caps, which tend to work well with the hoods on my jackets.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've worn bandanas as a headband for years but it's a little gangster these days.. I'll have a nose for some flat caps and maybe a few trucker/baseball caps on t'morrow!

Tilley do a winter hat, has anyone got this oe?? it looks a little less jungle explorer and little more old man :D

Hi Samon,

I've a winter Tilley in green tweed that matches my Swanndri jkt. Does look a little Indiana Jones's Dad but great hat in the -20's. Ear guards OK but I don't like the forehead guard. Great hat.

ATB,
GB.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
..at my last job my name was HATS. infact a lot of people didnt know my real name and thought i was named hats from being found in a factory when i was born lol.. purely because I have far too many trilbys, flat caps, fedoras and of course cowboy hats lol

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
..at my last job my name was HATS. infact a lot of people didnt know my real name and thought i was named hats from being found in a factory when i was born lol.. purely because I have far too many trilbys, flat caps, fedoras and of course cowboy hats lol

LOL, a bit like Belzeebob23 from here. In real life most folk call him "Indy" as he's always got a Tilley on and folk think he's Indiana Jones.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Akubra Cattleman in the sun.
Woodlore merino and Possum in the cold
Filson Wool lined Tin Cloth hunter in cold/wet.

Best.

Cat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE