Hat size, what's normal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've been looking at summer hats for outdoor activities and something other than my Tilley TMO5. A lot of brands stop at less than 60cm = something like 7 1/2 I think. My partner has a head start 55cm which is the minimum size Tilley do and they only do that in a limited range of hat's. That's got me wondering what's normal for women and men.

What's your hat size? I'm curious so if anyone wants to post their that size and whether there they think their head is small, average or large. Mine is 7 5/8 possibly even 7 3/4. I don't look like my head is big at all but that's a big head it seems?

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My hat size is 60cm with a shaved head.

I find most hats are either too shallow or just not wide enough. But obviously it can vary massively between brands n models. One size fits all is a joke.

I think that's fairly average, if not a bit big. I don't think my friends have much bigger or smaller heads, we all used to wear hats as youngns n try each others on n whatnot.
But ive not worn a hat with any regularity for about 8 years so couldn't say how average that really is haha the brains not any bigger i can tell you that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Average hat size is 7⅜ I think a lot depends on whether you want a tight fit or not, I find Tilley hats to be a bit oversize, I have a
7 ⅝ which is my hat size, but the Tilley swims on me, I don't know if hat sizes are the same worldwide, I know clothes sizes aren't, although the measurement is simple circumference divided by Pi.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It does seem a bit daft to measure diameter for hat size since heads and hats are rarely circular I think. Better to measure circumference I reckon like the metric hat size.

If 7 3/8 is average then why are men's hats, other than brands that use actual hat sizes, only up to that in the l/XL size. Most caps have two or three year sizes and the largest is up to that average Imperial hat size.

I have a cap that goes up to the same size as my Tilley but my Tilley is looser. The cap can't get a finger in the cap band. Tilley can get the recommended 2 fingers in easily. I do have to stretch it until I hear the threads crack to get back to its original size after washing. One time I washed at 30°C in a 15 minutes wash and it had shrunk so much that it could only sit on top of my head, couldn't get my head in it!! I had to wash it again then stretch while wet then be again when dry. I was thinking of getting a different style but tempted by the next size up. Their cotton ones shrink so much each wash. Does the nylon ones do that too? My organic cotton one was actually loose when I got it. I was told that they are oversized so that there's a gap round the rim for cooling your head. They don't hold your hat on by being a snug fit but by the wind cords apparently.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My organic cotton one was actually loose when I got it. I was told that they are oversized so that there's a gap round the rim for cooling your head. They don't hold your hat on by being a snug fit but by the wind cords apparently.

I don't know i think with boonie hats always imagined it's beneficial to have a gap on top of your head and the ventilation holes. The idea being the hot fabric isnt touching your head, your sweat evaporates and cools the inside of the hat and your head has room to breathe, creating like a mini micro climate inside. The sweatband also absorbing sweat to aid cooling and stop run off onto your face.
I dont know i wouldnt have a clue its all a bit of pseudoscience

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm 2m and not as slim (skinny) as ten years ago but be still slim. I've got 7 5/8 which is big it seems. Tilley call it tres exeptionelle on their store measuring strips!! People don't see my head as anything but small though. One guy told me to try his hat out, bought in Peru. He looked like he had a big head butt his hat only in sat on my head like a cone n party hat. He was surprised because he v had told me that n it might be a bit big for me!!

I'm at that size where some hat brands make some hats up to my size but in others models don't go in that big. At most I'm away the top size listed for their biggest hat size which isn't correct because those hats always end up being too tight.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I remember the annual issuing of berets to guys and I developed a knack of guessing head sized, the female heads tended to average around 53cm and the blokes around 59cm, I think the largest I ever issued as 65, we didn't keep many in stores.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
53cm is below the smallest size Tilley does which is 55cm IIRC. I know because I was curious about getting a Tilley hat for my son who had a 53cm circumference when measured as per their instructions. He is only 7 years old and we think he's only got a small head for his age. My partner has a small head and that's 55cm circumference.

I wonder if there's any info on UK head size distribution?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
61cm is mine I was issued with a 57 beret they didn’t care in the 80s just guessed and you got it till you bought a replacement

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well my head is getting bigger or my cotton Tilley keeps shrinking.

Do the synthetic Tilley hats shrink less after getting wet? I have to really stretch mine to get it I fit even though I've only washed it at 30°C. There's a hikers hat that I believe is nylon and others too. Perhaps I'd be better with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE