Has anyone made a fishing net before?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forgeways

Jun 25, 2010
Machynlleth, powys
Hi all,

This is my fist post but what i was really after was to know if anyone had made a landing type fishing net before and could offer some info on tying nets and what to make frames and handles out of? Long hazel perhaps bent and tied?

Cheers, TT

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Maybe worth having a look over at the Nets and Net Making section over on the Pineapple Knot forum... I've made a few net bags myself, and there's more work (and a lot more string) involved than you might imagine. Start small and work up. :)

MikaelMazz

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
The United States Of America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfB1XjhYPP0

I am in the prossece of making a conical net kind of like a landing net. This series of videos helped me.
I am making the string now so I have not started the net. I am going to add meshes to each row as I go make it conical which is not shown in the videos but it is a simple variation of the common netting knot. I am sure you can find it somewhere. You can also use string in place of the metal ring in the video which is what I am going to do.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey TT, I'm just down the road from you in Llani.

I'm part way through making a cast net, I've opted for 2" mesh and its about 8 feet in diameter, but now its getting to be slow progress.

Let me know if your around and we can compare notes

ATB

Ogri the trog

W

watercress

Im a huge Fishing fan, and that sounds like it would be a cool craft to make.
Thats a great link asemery, thanks. I have been doing woodcraft for awhile, so this would be a very cool project.

Make ones for my fishing buddys for Christmas.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
Just a thought about making a landing -net . If it is intended for actual use there might be problems with using a knotted mesh as by Law landing and keep -nets for freshwater fishing have to be of a knotless type .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE