Has anyone ever made a Palliasse?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Or straw mattress? I'm thinking about making one, but I'm not quite sure of the pros & cons and want to know if anyone has attempted it, before diving straight in.

One thing that makes me think is that is straw as insulating when damp as polyester hollow fibres, etc? Also would the straw break and eventually turn to dust over time?

My idea was to get a small canvas tarp, fold it over, sew it up and fill it.

What do folks think? Any ideas?

Cheers,

V.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
S'easy, you just sew a canvas bag and stuff it with straw or cut heather, or even dry leaves if that's what you have.
Straw was a waste product, relatively durable, lasted from one year to the next.
If you add in some old fashioned strewing herbs, like yarrow, meadowsweet, mugwort, melissa, bedstraw, lavender, it's pleasantly scented and it's inhibiting to insect infestation too.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree, and it's best packed tight. The plant stuff packs down and shapes under your weight, but it's surprisingly comfortable as your hips ( I'm female, even skinny I have hips) and shoulders find comfortable support and hollows to rest in :D

cheers,
M

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Nope but I do remember when there was a glut of palliasses and wooden camp beds on the surplus market following the demise of the Soviet Union. Believe it or not they were originally intended for field hospitals in the event of Nuclear war. Thank goodness they were never pressed into actual service.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I've used one for a week, doing living history. We just sewed up simple, square canvas bags, and stuffed them with straw from bales we bought. Not quite a foot thick to begin with, if I remember correctly. I found it very enjoyable. It quickly compressed down, and after the first night it had sort of moulded to my body down the middle - a bit like those space-foam mattresses. It was firm, but not uncomfortable. Later I just adjusted a bit here and there, and poked a bit more straw in at one point. It was certainly warm enough, although this was mid-summer. A fun experience - definitely go for it!

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I've used one for a week, doing living history. We just sewed up simple, square canvas bags, and stuffed them with straw from bales we bought. Not quite a foot thick to begin with, if I remember correctly. I found it very enjoyable. It quickly compressed down, and after the first night it had sort of moulded to my body down the middle - a bit like those space-foam mattresses. It was firm, but not uncomfortable. Later I just adjusted a bit here and there, and poked a bit more straw in at one point. It was certainly warm enough, although this was mid-summer. A fun experience - definitely go for it!

A roll mat could always be shoved down there in winter just to make sure.

I'll resurrect the thread and post pics once I get started!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE