Has anyone eaten insects?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Various people on here saying about eating woodlice. I do know that traditionally they are a cure for indigestion, since their bodies are manly made of calcium carbonate, which neutralises the excess stomach acid. It works. Unfortunately you need to eat a good handfull of them, and it works best with live ones as they break down rapidly after death. Live ones produce oils which make them taste bad so it isn't a particularly nice experience.

You might prefer to have indigestion.

Oh yes, and if you believe the wisdom of the ancient greek sages, then swallowing one of those enormous Tegenaria house spiders (live, of course) is a sure-fire cure for all manner of ills, from headaches to general malaise. Can't say I'm convinced. Besides, house spiders taste better if you roast them first.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Harvest man

Various people on here saying about eating woodlice. I do know that traditionally they are a cure for indigestion, since their bodies are manly made of calcium carbonate, which neutralises the excess stomach acid. It works. Unfortunately you need to eat a good handfull of them, and it works best with live ones as they break down rapidly after death.

This doesn't make any sense. Calcium carbonate does not break down after the death of living organisms. On the contrary, it persists almost forever (eventually as chalk and limestone.)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have eaten woodlice, snails, ants, locusts and mealworms the latter 2 where the best tasting ive been meaning to give worms a go too since i read it in lofty's book

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Harvest man

This doesn't make any sense. Calcium carbonate does not break down after the death of living organisms. On the contrary, it persists almost forever (eventually as chalk and limestone.)

Sorry Geoff, I didn't put that very well. I meant more that once the woodlouse is dead, it tends to disintegrate as the soft tissues degrade, so finding enough 'mass' is difficult in order to have an effect. Essentially, it is easier to collect a pile of live ones than to try and collect sufficient dead ones.

(I knew I should have re-written that sentence originally...)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i did the old Hugh fearnly wittingstall one once with the woodlice,...

i was intrigued as he said they taste like prawns....

they dont,....

he's a goon!

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Like others I've eaten these chaps:

Mopane_Worm_by_Arne_Larsen.jpg

They serve them grilled by the sides of the roads in Zimbabwe and Malawi, bit like chesnuts in England.

I also had them in a stew which was just nasty - really didn't enjoy them!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Sorry Geoff, I didn't put that very well. I meant more that once the woodlouse is dead, it tends to disintegrate as the soft tissues degrade, so finding enough 'mass' is difficult in order to have an effect. Essentially, it is easier to collect a pile of live ones than to try and collect sufficient dead ones.

(I knew I should have re-written that sentence originally...)

People scavenge for dead woodlice??? Yes, I can imagine that would take a while...

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Lobbster, Crab, Welks to name a few.
All from the sea though, but im told i eat about 8 spiders (yeah i know they're not strictly insects but they probally taste the same) a year when im asleep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE