Has anybody tried out this Rucksack: US Alicepack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
F

FreshMint

Heya

Well I'm looking to upgrade my current rucksack as well, I don't like the current US government ;) but I do trust that after all the billions they put into weapons and military research something good comes out.

So I was looking for a good US rucksack and came accross this baby, some of my friends have heared it is pretty good, so time to aks the pro's here :)

It's a G.I. TYPE A.L.I.C.E. PACK

ALICEPACKDET.jpg

I would get this also fairly cheap.

F

FreshMint

BIG-TARGET said:
that is one of those packs where the owner would either swear by it, or swear at it.
damn there is no way for me to find out since I life in Ireland and they deff do not haven them here, so would you say just buy it and risk it that I hate it or learn to love it? :eek:

leon-1

FreshMint said:
damn there is no way for me to find out since I life in Ireland and they deff do not haven them here, so would you say just buy it and risk it that I hate it or learn to love it? :eek:

These have an external frame (although they can be worn without), but I would say try before you buy.

As per most military systems these are designed to ride high on the back above webbing which some find uncomfortable.

There are also a couple of different sizes if I recall correctly and that looks like the medium size pack.

You really need to see them first as the condition of these can be quite varied as well. I am not trying to put you off, I have the large framed version and don't have too many problems with it, but that is just me and you and I could have very different ideas on packs. Whoever said you either love them or hate them is right, that is the general sort of take on them, so if you can try one do so. :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Having bought a Snugpak Rocket Pack without trying it first I would thoroughly recommend that you not purchase a pack without trying it first! A back that does not fit can ruin your day.

Re the good of billions spent...I have recently heard that the new US Army load carrying system, that has cost millions if not billions to develope, doesn't work all that well in practice. :rolleyes: Money and millitary might is no indicator of good kit, just expensive kit!

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
C_Claycomb said:
Re the good of billions spent...I have recently heard that the new US Army load carrying system, that has cost millions if not billions to develope, doesn't work all that well in practice. :rolleyes: Money and millitary might is no indicator of good kit, just expensive kit!
I was reminded last week about the US space programme where millions were spent developing a bomb-proof pen. it had to survive a vacuum, write under water, write upside down, write on many different surfaces. The Russians developed a similar product for less than 50p. It's called a pencil !!!
Expensive products do not always mean a better product.

Martin

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
i have the medium alice pack and let me tell you now DONT use it without the frame as there are very uncomfortable and you wouldnt last a mile without it as everything in the pack digs like hell into your back.
there made out of very lightweight nylon which is not waterproof like they say but drains very quick so you will need a dry bag the large sack is better than the medium and they do work well in jungle but only because of the nylon
the frame is not that strong and i would recomend a more upto date rucksack like karrimor or anything
what am trying to say the yanks call them rotton when they have served with them and i agree better left alone complete waste of money
hope this helps. j.roberts ( ps anyone want to buy a alice pack lol)

Moine

Forager
Hi,

Some like them. I personally think they are a method secretly developed by some sadist to get the G.I.'s pain tolerance capacities at a higher realm....

This thing was digging in my the back of my ribs, shoulders, and all... I hated it so much I gave it to my worst ennemy (professor R.G. Painkiller).

No seriously, some like them, but try it out (loaded !) before you buy.

Cheers,

David

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I know of highly skilled and respected outdoors people who love them and an equal number of highly skilled and respected outdoors people who hate them.

I personally dont like them, it seems its a marmite thing, you love um or you hate um

definatly one which you will have to try before you buy.

there are other rucksacks which are well respected and approved of by almost everyone. like the rucksacks from www.PRI.uk.com and bergans www.bergans.no

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Freshmint,

These packs are not that comfortable and are of similar design to the British sas/para bergen. They do ride high, which is good if you're carrying webbing, but not so good if you want to use a hip/waist belt to share the load. They do have good pockets but are just not user friendly enough when compared to what is available on today's market. They were probably ok in their day. Like most things military, they are too heavy and not that comfy. The straps will tend to dig in at the shoulder. I think they look good however.
I'd go for a decent civvy one.

ps; if you don't know what alice stands for, it is... all purpose-lightweight-individual-carrying-equipment.

Julian.

M

marcja

leon-1 said:
I have the large framed version and don't have too many problems with it, but that is just me and you and I could have very different ideas on packs. Whoever said you either love them or hate them is right, that is the general sort of take on them, so if you can try one do so. :)

I'm with the others here. Try before you buy. A badly fitting pack will ruin your day.

I bought one of these a while ago, and I couldn't get on with it at all. It's first journey was 20'odd miles down Offas Dyke on a hot day - not a nice experience - it was promptly re-sold!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit like marmite I suppose - your either love it or you hate it!!

M

Jan 31, 2005
Germany
I bought one a few months back, then had to return it because as soon as I used the poppers on the side puuches they came off in my hand. So, thinking it was a one off flaw in workmanship got them to replace it. To my annoyance the same thing happened again! I should have gone with my instinct and stayed well clear!!!!!

F

FreshMint

Okay thanks guys...

What about the Blackhawk Patrol Pack Black

60PP00BK_2.jpg

Or what about the bigger brother...

downrangesports_1786_1421701.gif

They are pricey

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have no experiance of that particualr blackhawk model but I have used other packs from blackhawk.

they were all very robust but the most noticable thing about blackhawk packs is how heavy they are!!!! in some cases heavier than the things I intended to carry in them.

if you are looking at spending that sort of money on a pack then I would recommend you look at the packs from kifaru: www.kifaru.net

some of the finest packs i have ever seen

FreshMint said:
Heya

Well I'm looking to upgrade my current rucksack as well, I don't like the current US government ;) but I do trust that after all the billions they put into weapons and military research something good comes out.

So I was looking for a good US rucksack and came accross this baby, some of my friends have heared it is pretty good, so time to aks the pro's here :)

It's a G.I. TYPE A.L.I.C.E. PACK

ALICEPACKDET.jpg

I would get this also fairly cheap.

Don't bother mate there utter crap.
I once bought one to use when i went on a jungle warfare training course and by the end of the six weeks the bloody thing had rotten through.
The shoulder straps are a bit flimsy and as said before they are about as waterproof as a newspaper.
Better to buy yourself a good bergan( British PLCE shortback or a karrimor/berghaus jobby).
You can pick up a good bergan for 50 quid upwards if you shop around or visit a large open air market, they always have a few stalls selling army surplus.

My advice is to save your money and invest it in a piece of kit that will last. When i first joined the Army fifthteen years ago i bought a Berghaus cyclops crusader and i still use it today.

Happy hunting :)

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Yeah, I used to have a Crusader but it was stolen. They are the by far the best bergens I've ever used. The new Vulcan is similar. I know mine would still be in use if I still had it.

F

FreshMint

Hey all

Thanks for the replys :)

Look what I got myself over ebay, acctually my first ebay bitting, and I have no clue what to do next :)
I hope I can pay for this in time.

36_1_b.JPG

41 Eur :)

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
One small observation that I don't like is the word "TYPE" in the description, this usually means that its a copy, although it may be a good copy it could easily be a very bad one. I think it could be a case of Buyer Beware. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The best bergen I have ever used (IMHO) was a french foreign legion issue, really basic, half bergen half kitbag, canvas, no frame and huge with just a top pocket, it was the most comfortable bergen I have ever carried! I loaned to someone to go on exersize, I got sent a way for a few weeks I got back to Gib and he had been posted! Never saw it or him again :(
I have an alice pack but I havent really had enough use out of it to comment on what it is like to carry, I like the big pockets but I always used it out of a vehicle :D

F

FreshMint

Chopper said:
One small observation that I don't like is the word "TYPE" in the description, this usually means that its a copy, although it may be a good copy it could easily be a very bad one. I think it could be a case of Buyer Beware. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nah it's cause he's german, I 'm german myself and in the german discription he deff says that is is a berghaus original.

In german type stands for: where is made or where it is from :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE