Harvesting wood for staffs and carving projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hi all,
About six months ago I cut a lovely piece of birch, seasoned it through the summer and autumn then made a nice walking staff for my daughter.
I'd like to do the same again, giving them as gifts to relatives etc, but is there any point harvesting wood at this time of year, particularly as it's so damned cold at the moment?
I've only got into bushcraft and traditional crafts very recently and I realise some patience is going to be required - as in, cutting my wood at the right time and leaving it long enough to season properly before starting my projects.
That's OK, I can be patient, but what I'm lacking is the knowledge.
Are there any woods that can be harvested at this time of year and successfully (read 'patiently') seasoned?
If so, which are the best for sticks and/or carving?
Are there any that can be cut and used straight away, even though the weather's so poor?
Thanks in advance folks - I'm learning so much every day by reading the posts on this amazing forum.
Cheers
Steve

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
From my understanding (which may be a mile off) now would be better than spring as the sap will start rising. Also roughly carve it now whilst its green then as it seasons and shrinks finish the carving

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE