Harvesting leather from old jackets.. is it wrong?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo yo yo,

I've been having a think and I'm unsure whether to harvest the leather from an old/vintage jacket. Its perfectly usable and in good nic, cost me a tenner from a charity shop years ago. But I don't wear it as it doesn't quite fit anymore and I'm trying to clear out some crap..

It feels wrong thinking of cutting up a nice (yellow leather and dated biker style) jacket just to make ammo pouches and stuff.. The leather would look good as pouches but I have a soft spot for old clothes..

I have cut up jackets in the past, but they were knackered, ugly and ready to be thrown (I.e women's wear lol).

Anyone have any opinions?

I can post a picture of the jacket if anyone's interested in looking at it. :)

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I'd be pondering on the same descision if as you say, it's in good nick, different if it's a salvage job.
If you decide not to butcher it and want shot of it put it up on ebay, some vintage leather bike jackets go for good prices, maker, style, period, etc. will dictate.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Put it up in the Swap Shop - someone might make good use of it as a jacket..............if no takers, rip it to bits! :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Is there an echo in here??? :)

QUACK!!!!

....don't think so!;)

I just tried it on and the wife says its nice.. Gah. Could have done with 'nah its ugly, slice it silly.'!

I'm not a hoarder but it does seem sad to kill it. I'll take w picture tomorrow and load it up for the swap shop.?just in case..

I've been eyeing up my Dr martens too, but they've got a few more years left in them.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

So this is it..

What do you reckon dudes?

Just did some google-fu and apparently the brand RBC is quite popular, an american biker range!

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's a large, and made to fit old school men like me without long arms but broad chests..my guts a little too tight in I done up though.

I'll put it on the swap thread, as I don't think I can bring myself to killing it. I'll give it a week..

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
I would try to swap it too. I have just harvested a load of leather panels from an old, and totally, knacker horse saddle.

No idea what I'm going to do with it yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE