Harvesting dead seals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Is it legal to harvest bits of seals I find washed up upon the beach?

I'm finding at least 1 a week that's still pretty fresh so I wouldn't mind getting the bones and fat and possibly the skin.

They're already dead so hopefully it ain't a problem

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Depends if they're a protected species or not. I suppose they are grey seals but I've no idea of their protection status. Are there that many coppers patroling the beach then ? :)

Edit; Just had a scout around & although they are protected from being shot during the breeding season I haven't come across any legislation forbidding the collection & transportation of their washed up remains.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Seals have been having a hard time over the last few years, I'd report them to the authorities first and then ask their opinion.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I'm working down in Dundee most of the time so see them at tentsmuir.

Noone seems to do anything with them, they just rot on the beach, given that they're already dead I may just go ahead

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Seals have been having a hard time over the last few years, I'd report them to the authorities first and then ask their opinion.

I spoke with a guy not long ago he said its normal just more noticeable as they end up on the beach

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Ooo that reminds me of seal chop....

We used to shoot seals to feed the dogs. Bleed them and gut them, then throw them on a pile to freeze before chopping up into 'dinner sized' lumps. Used to stick an axe through a head so a favourite dog could have brains etc....

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I picked up a scapula off a beach in the shetland isles. I couldnt get the rancid fat smell off at all. It was left on feltar. As long as you take a photo of carcass, if you get questions you could show it was harvested off a natural cadaver.

personallly I would look up what diseases they carry. What would you do with all that fat? fish scented soap doesnt sound to good.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Could certainly do with a sealskin for maritime reenactment but having smelt a dead seal and the dog having rolled in it not sure I want to meet the smell again. The EU have legislated against trading in seal products.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Forget the fat and life gets easier
Give the beast some dignity try and get it above the tide line in a concealed spot and let nature take its own course collect the bones later
The thought of hacking lumps off an animal that died of natural causes on a beach; does not conjure a great image in my mind. At this time of the morning
I am sure however that the law will be much the same as for roadkill but you may get into breach of the peace causing alarm territory as well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE