Haricot beans and cous cous

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
a Kind friend found me some jam jars for preserving...Some, however, have stuff in.

I now have pudding rice, gram flour and salt.

But also haricot beans and couscous.

Im not keen on couscous...You would think I would like its pleasant mealy taste...but no.

use as stew thickener?

Haricot beans, of course are those in baked bean tins...even I know that.

Anyone got a recipe for home made baked beans?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cous cous is pretty bland, but if you look up north African recipes then it's pretty good :)
It's a classic vegetarian type meal....it has the carbs from the couscous, it has the zing and the texture and the herby/spicy additions and it lets us add in the bits that make it a complete protein and vegetable rich dinner. If you eat meat, fit it in.
On it's own, it's a marmite, to be honest.

http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/africa.html

Haricot beans....use a pressure cooker and take care they don't froth up and block the gasket. They'll cook in under three quarters of an hour with no pre-soaking.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-coo...cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193867

http://veganrecipeclub.org.uk/taxonomy/term/200

atb,
M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hoo, I have no pressure cooker, and 3/4 of an houurs worth of gas seems a bit extravagant to me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a blooming sight quicker than boiling them up any other way.

Honestly Tengu, if cooking long term is a problem, don't buy dried beans.
Tins are much the cheaper and easier option for beans and peas. Red lentils apart that is.

M

garethw

Settler
a Kind friend found me some jam jars for preserving...Some, however, have stuff in.

I now have pudding rice, gram flour and salt.

But also haricot beans and couscous.

Im not keen on couscous...You would think I would like its pleasant mealy taste...but no.
Couscous is a fantastic meal... one of my all time favourites.. but like the fondue it has to be done right or it'll taste like on of the aweful tinned ones.... its all down to the sauce... the semolina on its own it doesn't taste of much... but with a bit of salt and butter is is better.

The sauce needs the right coucous spices, and some nice veggies... tin of tomatoes, courgettes, red peppers, carrots, cabbage and small turnips..
I add some cumin, and coriander and a pinch of chilli too.
Serve with a piece of lamb or chicken... or even better still if you can find them; merguez sausages...

Bon appetit.
Gareth

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didnt buy these. I was given them.

Very kind of someone I'm sure, but a pain in the neck for you to cook, unfortunately.

Soak them overnight in water with bicarbonate of soda in it to help the softening process along. Rinse really well and then boil/simmer.

Beans are very good food, but they do need cooking.....unless you like sprouted ones, and not all are safe to sprout.

This page is a pretty clear read on the topic of ones which are worth sprouting.
Sprouted ones are pretty good just as is, in a salad, or quickly stir fried.

http://rawfusionfoods.com/eating-ra...out-your-way-to-a-better-balanced-raw-diet-2/

M

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Bit of salt in the couscous, bit of butter too, to give a softer texture, but in the main its a "soak away" for the meat juices. I think it does a much better job than rice or pasta

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Dried pulses:

Instead of an hour and half of gas maybe a small outdoor fire beans in a good pot well covered with water, gentle simmer, a good book or just soaking up the surroundings!... Some nice chopped chilli and Tom purée, and if you want some meat a little ham or corned beef added a couple of minutes from the end with a knob of butter or glug of olive oil, makes them silky 😜

Mmmm explains my ever expanding waistline!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE