Hares

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
5695086051_5024090e9f_z.jpg

5657723133_6fce435bf4_z.jpg

related to the similarly appearing rabbit, which is in the same family but a different genus. It breeds on the ground rather than in a burrow and relies on speed to escape.

It is larger, longer-eared, and longer-legged than a rabbit. It has a body size of 50-70 cm and a tail length of 7-11 cm. The weight for a full-grown adult ranges from 2.5 to 6.5 kg. It can run at speeds of up to 72 km/h (45 mi/h). It is strictly herbivorous. It eats grasses and herbs during the summer months but changes to feeding on twigs, bark, and the buds of young trees in winter, making it a pest to orchard farmers.

Normally shy animals, hares change their behaviour in spring, when they can be seen in broad daylight chasing one another around meadows. During this spring frenzy, hares can be seen "boxing". This is where hares strike one another with their paws. For a long time it had been thought that this was inter-male competition, but closer observation has revealed that it is usually a female hitting a male, either to show that she is not yet quite ready to mate or as a test of his determination.

The hare is declining in Europe due to changes in farming practices. Its natural predators include the Golden Eagle and carnivorous mammals like the Red Fox and Wolf.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Wow, did you take those piccys because they are amazing, I love hares and have only ever glimpsed them on occasions. Nice thread.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Saw a few captive hares at the Hampshire show in the pet’s tent. I didn’t realise you could own them as pets like rabbits?

Great pictures by the way.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I just love to watch hares. There are four or five large ones in a field I visit and in the summer months you can see their ears twitching and they move about now and then as they do their best to keep cool. I used to chase them in hay fields as a young boy which gave me a better chance of catching one as they had to run in leaps and bounds. Suffice to say I never did catch one! Lol.

Recently whilst walking I got very close to a young one (leverit?) that had not seen me. I stood perfectly still and when he looked up you could tell he was unsure of what to do. Then his instincts kicked in and he crawled on his belly under a fence and continued crawling slowly into a grass field with small grass clumps (like a cat stalking something). He then slide into the grass clump and completely vanished even though the grass was quite low. I just wish I had my camera because I walked right around him but could no longer see him. Beautiful and amazing animals.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
We are lucky in that we sit and watch them almost every day, up to 3 at a time, from our front room window or the garden. Fascinating to see them chase each other around. I must really save up and get a camera, any camera lol

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE