hare piece

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I buried a hares head about 10 inches down in the garden in November. Any idea how long before it's a reasonably clean skull? It's a clay soil relatively neutral if that helps.
Realgar

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Never tried it but..
If you left hair on your hare :naughty: it will take longer.
I also think it will take longer during winter because there aren't so many bugs and creepy crawlies in the soil to feast on it.
I'd be inclinded to leave it in for a bit longer...
Or you could dig it up and have a look :?:

Cheers

Mark

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
hootchi said:
Would it be too risky to put it in bleach? :?:

It may be a bit thin so easy to leave it in for a bit too long.

Bleach softens the bones, so i wouldn't recommend that method. I usuall "Do" skulls by hiding them somewhere above ground and let the flies get to them. The maggots will have it cleaned before you know it. Just put it somewhere where no carnivores can get it and most importantly where you can't smell it. :yikes:

Cheers,

Martin

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Around here it's not uncommon to find whole sheep skeletons lying about like some kind of macabre jigsaw. I have a skull in the garage. Seems like on the surface they clean up pretty quickly.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
When i used to shoot trophy heads i used to put them under a rock 1/2 buried in soil with a gap between the rock and the skull used to clean up within 6 months but were talking a lot more tissue and head and that was in the highlands.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I buried it to stop the local wildlife wandering away with it - I had a deer pelvis go missing once. I might dig it up, throw in a handful of maggots and cover it again. I wouldn't use bleach as I've seen it turn bones greenish, I have access to 50% hydrogen peroxide though....

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've used a compost heap once for this without any ill effects. I also seem to remember Tom ? surname (taught a tracking class at the First Wilderness gathering) talked about doing the same.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
My compost heap's only just getting going. I could get some museum beetles ( aka flesh beetles ) but I know what they can do to a house. - they'll eat anything protein rich, wool, hair, leather.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE