Happy Samhain.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To be honest I think it's a British thing to carve turnips....muckle great neeps :) they're called 'bogles' and as the heat of the candle inside dries them out they shrivel up like shrunken heads. Before turnips were grown I was told that wooden bark masks were made and faces painted with soot and ash.

That said, nowadays pumpkins are used by, I suspect, most people. Much easier to carve out and they're a cheery colour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogle
http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/scotlandshistory/20thand21stcenturies/halloween/index.asp

I can't say I'm a fan of this modern horror movie type hallowe'en stuff....ghoulish dead babies and zombies and the like. It's become grotesque instead of subtly scary.

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Happy Samhain to you woodpoet and all at BCUK.

"...I can't say I'm a fan of this modern horror movie type hallowe'en stuff....ghoulish dead babies and zombies and the like. It's become grotesque instead of subtly scary..."

I like older scary movies, I watched Carpenter's Halloween when I was 14 and was on the edge of my seat for most of it. These modern horror/slasher movies are terrible, I hate the things.

If you want to be terrified tonight, find a copy of the original Japanese version of 'The Ring', yes it has subtitles, but go for it, it scared the bejeesus out of me and I must have been in my mid thirties when I watched it. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Happy Samhain to you woodpoet and all at BCUK.

I like older scary movies, I watched Carpenter's Halloween when I was 14 and was on the edge of my seat for most of it. These modern horror/slasher movies are terrible, I hate the things.

If you want to be terrified tonight, find a copy of the original Japanese version of 'The Ring', yes it has subtitles, but go for it, it scared the bejeesus out of me and I must have been in my mid thirties when I watched it. :)

Don't forget Salem's Lot!

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
To coin a phrase 'there can be only one' and that's The exorcist. Watched it on pirate video at the local rugby club when it first came out. I was still in school then, and very into my pretty RE teacher. I used to stay after class, and listen to her proclaim her faith. So, all that satan v God nonsense was fresh in my mind. For a time, after watching it I couldn't sleep properly for weeks, paranoia, nervousness. Still can't watch it to this day. I can listen to tubular bells though, but not the bit where Oldfield does the demon speak.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Happy summers end to you and all others of BCUK Samhain. Hope you're all stored up for the winter ahead and to sit around a warming fire and raise a cup to those who've passed on ahead.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
We've got a double celebration on tonight.

Debs has her last radiotherapy today and it looks like everything is good and clear.

It's been a tough year but here's looking towards the future.
Happy Samhain everybody.
HalloweenSmiley.gif

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
You do realise of course that this thread is blasphemy to Pastafarians? I suggest a mass wearing of sieves as a protest against these unbelievers...............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE