hanging pot above fire, why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i normally just shoot laserbeams out of my eyes at the base of the pot for a few seconds,

sometimes i breathe fire at them too,...

seriously tho,...i like both methods,..

1. the Billy always hanging,

B. the crusader cup shoved in the side

and

3. if the enviroment permits and the suitable materials are available , a nice flat stone as a hearth for making flat bread,...

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I usually put my pot on the side of the fire. I just stand it on the ground into the edge of the fire, no wood or coals underneath. I find it heats water much quicker unless you compare with hanging just touching the wood underneath. Once a stew is boiled it is also easier to control the temperature by inching it in and out, rather than having to adjust your pot hanger.

Then again perhaps we are all assuming a western round fire. What about the Asian 2 logs fire? What are the options for pot positioning here?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I tend to make a keyhole shaped fire with two parallel logs along the narrow, straight bit on which the cooking pot sits. Embers and small bits from the main fire are pushed into the space between the logs as necessary to keep the cooking bit at an even temperature. Logs upwind of main fire of course. Main fire cooks things in leaves and clay. I prefer rectangular pots as they sit across logs more easily. Skewers can also be placed across the parallel logs kebab style.

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
I prefer hanging pots on an adjustable chain.. Then you can control your cooking temperature or keep a big pot of water hot ready for brews. It depends a lot on how many people are at your camp and how long you're staying there.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Rich, please tell me what the Asian two logs fire is. A parallel fire lay or something else?

+1

for boiling water in a billy, i hang pots if there's no wind, and stand the pot in the flames if it's reaally windy.

dutch ovens go in the embers.

mugs? siilly billys buy crusader mugs and hang them by complicated means! real bushcrafters use the old school usgi mug. there's always a perfect branch to clip your mug onto! :lmao:
mug-on-a-stick.jpg

cup-on-the-fire-dark.jpg

luvoo bye.

cheers, and

I tend to make a keyhole shaped fire with two parallel logs along the narrow, straight bit on which the cooking pot sits. Embers and small bits from the main fire are pushed into the space between the logs as necessary to keep the cooking bit at an even temperature. Logs upwind of main fire of course. Main fire cooks things in leaves and clay. I prefer rectangular pots as they sit across logs more easily. Skewers can also be placed across the parallel logs kebab style.

You can also do this with two logs in a narrow V shape (embers in between), just slide the pot up and down to vary the temperature.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
It's not really a matter of personnel preference, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, it's whatever's most convenient or lying around at the time.
Just be flexible.

Last edited:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
+1

for boiling water in a billy, i hang pots if there's no wind, and stand the pot in the flames if it's reaally windy.

dutch ovens go in the embers.

mugs? siilly billys buy crusader mugs and hang them by complicated means! real bushcrafters use the old school usgi mug. there's always a perfect branch to clip your mug onto! :lmao:
mug-on-a-stick.jpg

cup-on-the-fire-dark.jpg

luvoo bye.

cheers, and

Hey what you doing with my mug!! :D

They are great - can't understand why more people don't use them

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I add a hanging option to my crusader mugs just for convenience whatever the size of the fire.

CrusaderChain.jpg

Very small fire I only did once as a test

Much more useful there are a lot of large fires during my volunteer conservation work
Too big to get close to & I feel silly lighting a stove next to a fire.

HC1.jpg

Always plenty of long green sticks around

HC2.jpg

Boils really fast with this kind of heat no lid needed (don't use the same stick twice)

Just another case of using available resources. Another thing use a split stick of thick piece of bark until to handle cools.

Mike

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
Pots hung over a fire don't tip over and dump water everywhere when the fuel is consumed.
Heat goes up, so it is more efficient to place a pot over the heatsource than next to it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE