hanging pot above fire, why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, just wondered why suspending a pot above a fire is so popular, I just place my pot on a couple of thickish sticks on the edge of the fire and push under/pull out embers beneath the pot to regulate the heat which works fine, some people even replace handles or add wire to pots and even crusader mugs for the purpose of suspension by wire or sticks, why, what is the reason for suspending pots above a fire.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
because I want to, some pots are better hung over, like wide bottomed billys, or if your cooking with multi pots it will help manage space, the handles being removed for mine is so they fit inside each other for ease of packing,

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For boiling a pot of water I just hang my billy over the fire and can walk away and do other stuff in the meanwhile, not having to watch the pot incase a support burns through or the embers die.
For a fire that is being used for more than one pot the hanging system allows for multiple billies without supervision.
Different size or adjustable pot hooks allow for temp variation off a single fire.
Hanging pots over a fire allows for feeding the fire without having to worry about knocking standing pots flying.
Hanging pots are just less likely to fall or get pushed over :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For boiling a pot of water I just hang my billy over the fire and can walk away and do other stuff in the meanwhile, not having to watch the pot incase a support burns through or the embers die.
For a fire that is being used for more than one pot the hanging system allows for multiple billies without supervision.
Different size or adjustable pot hooks allow for temp variation off a single fire.
Hanging pots over a fire allows for feeding the fire without having to worry about knocking standing pots flying.
Hanging pots are just less likely to fall or get pushed over :)

+1 to all that

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I just hang my billy over the fire and can walk away and do other stuff in the meanwhile, not having to watch the pot incase a support burns through or the embers die.

i hadn't considered that, i rarely leave pots any length of time so hadn't thought about that, makes sense, thanks.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Also you can vary the heat that the billy can (or other cooking vessel) is exposed to a lot more easily with height adjustable hangers, allowing you to cook more complex meals, particularly useful for things like baking bread, very easy to vary the heat for the proofing stage, just raise it up a bit, which may be a bit more of a faff with embers. but hey, at the end of the day just use what works for you :)
cheers

paddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I prefer mine to the side too. I find radiant heat is very successful.
Those who *had* to cook on open hearths cooked using the embers drawn forward from the fire; many ancient hearths aren't round, they're sort of fat figure of eightish, and by the time we get to houses the fires are usually long fires.
Really folks only cook 'over' the fire since the advent of iron cooking utensils......and metal was always expensive.
Think about ponassing and the like for meat too.

It all works though, so folks cook as they find easiest nowadays.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
If I wanted to boil water quickly I would probably do it as you do, but as has already been said if I wanted to go off and do something else and want to have a brew 'in a bit' then suspending it is a good option. You can always put it nearer the flames when you get back. It is also a good way for cooking things like stews slowly without having to keep a constant eye on it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Depends on what type of pot (or frying pan) I'm using. I rarely ever "hang" any more, but if it's aluminum or steel I do as you do most of the time and put it on sticks or rocks near the fire. On the other hand if it's cast iron I use it the way it was designed and place it directly onto the coals. Both htese methods are the way I learned in the Boy Scouts.

Back when I was a kid and I did hang them, it was because that's what they did in the cowboy movies and jungle movies.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i mostly use stainless steel and cooking time is usually fairly short, i rarely leave pots unattended for any length of time so i can see the benefit of suspending pots in that scenario or if cooking with multiple pots for a number of people, i raised the question because there are so many topics/photos on the forum showing even crusader mugs being suspended and i couldn't see any benefit to that and wondered if there was some practical reason for doing so that i did not know of or if it was just personal choice.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I agree with Southey I cannot see any reason either why someone would want to suspend a cup. So little liquid it will boil in minutes just on the embers. Cooking in a larger pot is another matter though.
I dont think there is any reason to suspend a cup, they have high enough sides to heat well in a pile of embers,

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.......i raised the question because there are so many topics/photos on the forum showing even crusader mugs being suspended and i couldn't see any benefit to that and wondered if there was some practical reason for doing so that i did not know of or if it was just personal choice.

i bet there's lots of photos on here where there's a crusader mug nestled in the embers but hidden from view by a log or some dancing flames. in my experience just pushing your billy/mug into the embers is a really common way of cooking too, as is suspending a mug/billy over the fire, horses for courses really :)

cheers

stuart

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i mostly use stainless steel and cooking time is usually fairly short, i rarely leave pots unattended for any length of time so i can see the benefit of suspending pots in that scenario or if cooking with multiple pots for a number of people, i raised the question because there are so many topics/photos on the forum showing even crusader mugs being suspended and i couldn't see any benefit to that and wondered if there was some practical reason for doing so that i did not know of or if it was just personal choice.

I suspect that a lot of people might just be practicing the various methods of hanging pots (even a crusader mug) when there isn't really a need. Just as they practive fire starting with a bow drill or flint.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
If water is plentiful then i suspend my zebra to have constant hot water on demand. For a cuppa I just lower it down for a minute to get back to a roil. Top up when required etc.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that aside from any issues of practicality it's just fun to mess around, whittling and making camp gadgets out of sticks and whatnot.

You've got to use that knife for something right ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE