Handmade pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone,

I have been busy making pouches. Here are some of them here

This one is to fit a Leatherman Wave:

168817610_c69c029e29.jpg

168817613_f8dda897e6.jpg

A small 4.5" x 3.5" x 1.5" pouch:

169574289_134cf39691.jpg

169576659_863af6f981.jpg

And this one for my wife:

DSCN0055.jpg

singteck

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Having just received one of Singtecks pouches, I can confirm they are even better than they look in real life (oh and they look pretty fab huh?).

But Singteck mate...one thing I don't understand...I see how you get the Leatherman in the pouch for the Leatherman....but how do you get your wife in the the other one ;)

Red

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
That's excellent S. I'm half way through my first pouch of that type - our second picture) (I think it was inspired by one of your previous efforts??) - it started off as a pouch for my binos but I ended up cutting the sides a bit narrow - buggerit!. Very hard to get the stitching neat - I'm impressed!

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
British Red said:
Having just received one of Singtecks pouches, I can confirm they are even better than they look in real life (oh and they look pretty fab huh?).

But Singteck mate...one thing I don't understand...I see how you get the Leatherman in the pouch for the Leatherman....but how do you get your wife in the the other one ;)

Red

:lmao:

Glad you like it!

redcollective said:
That's excellent S. I'm half way through my first pouch of that type - our second picture) (I think it was inspired by one of your previous efforts??) - it started off as a pouch for my binos but I ended up cutting the sides a bit narrow - buggerit!. Very hard to get the stitching neat - I'm impressed!

You wouldn't believe how many mistake I have to make to produce these! I have been through that road, and I still take that route occasionally. Just keep going. :p

singteck

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
On the subject of leather pouches I have been looking for a possibles pouch. Found one in a charity shop for £2, a brown leather sporran. Absolutely great. Great work singteck ;)

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
British Red said:

:lmao:

Nice pouches, though. Very clean.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
These pouches look just great - makes my leatherwork efforts look like they've been made by a 2 year old (or probably not that good!).

I just can't work out how you do the stiching between the sides and the 'wrap round' front / back piece. Do you push the awl through from the front at an angle so that it exits the side in the right place? And if so how the 'flippin 'eck do you do it so neat?!!

best
Matt

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Thank you everyone for the kind words. :eek:

MattW said:
I just can't work out how you do the stiching between the sides and the 'wrap round' front / back piece. Do you push the awl through from the front at an angle so that it exits the side in the right place? And if so how the 'flippin 'eck do you do it so neat?!!

best
Matt

Hi Matt,

It's quite easy actually. I don't know if this is the right way to do it but it's my way of doing it.

After marking out all the stitches, punch the hole on the front piece of leather straight through just as you would with any other leather work. The side piece however, have to be punched at an angle of 45° (more or less). Then you just stitch them together.

singteck

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Do you use curved needles for this? I've done a fair bit of saddle stitching but nothing with angled holes. Any pics of them in construction?

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Grimnir said:
Do you use curved needles for this? I've done a fair bit of saddle stitching but nothing with angled holes. Any pics of them in construction?

No curved needles were used.

Here is a sequence of photos and I hope it shows the process a little clearer.

Marking the stitch line with a groover

170073505_36b76d3f1d.jpg

Marking the stitches with a overstitch wheel

170073041_5c96c998a6.jpg

Pricking the side pieces at 45° with an awl (round cross section)

169930441_48d9e248a8.jpg

Pricking the front/back with a saddlers awl (90° to surface)

169911586_9546ce05fd.jpg

And finally saddle stitch them together

114881383_b29b40dd31.jpg

If you need more help on any stages, let me know. Not all the steps are here. I have missed out on the finishing stages.

singteck

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Ah, that's where I've been going wrong. I only have the saddlers awl and kept splitting the sides lol. This should be very handy, it's the stitch used in making Dark Ages turnshoes so there's no stitching on the sole to wear through, and I just happen to have a pattern and some spare leather...

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
I'm hoping I can get something waerable :) I've started adjusting the pattern to fit now, so will be ready to start it soon, hopefully. I'll take pics as I go.

If anyone wants to try these after, I have the pattern sheet and a booklet on them I'd be willing to lend out. They are by Petty Chapman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE