Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
87b03fc11317929272c9acc288d9b893.jpg
ffaf9fb02ae8a8cc5d65a558dc8c26df.jpg
e89be5d0cd65c5f9203cda230686d679.jpg
90db1b9d09481d40ae5155977cdf0405.jpg
05f76396fcb9ef3e1accca64e3ee99fa.jpg

Had chance to give my hobo hand line a try out on my recent holiday to Crete , worked a treat and was great holiday fun .
Although I only caught relatively small fish I caught every day and reckon it would be a useful tool in an outdoor/ survival situation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks a handy wee kit you've put together there. Nice to see you were successful in catching lunch.with it too.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Brilliant. Only has to be simple gear to catch fish. You just have to know where to go !
I reckon you would be able to feed yourself well with that set up 👍

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Very good +1,
I assume the tube with the orange tip is not a rec**l thermometer. Please enlighten me.
Would be easy to fabricate, good project. Thank you

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I have the same handline, bought it from a very nice chap on ebay. Glad to see you had some luck with it as well I used to take mine out to Umstead state park and throw a line into one of the feeder streams for Big Lake. A small hook and bobber with worms of just bread on the hook and in no time at all there's a nice 2lb Bluegill on the line.

Really good Idea using the pouch as float storage, sure beats the hell out of my ziplok baggie I've got an old Maxped pouch and I might steal your idea.:)

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
It is indeed Dia you can see.
Orange tube is a pre weighted waggler float .

It was great to use the gear and practice the skills , was comforting to know I could feed myself if necessary !
Just bought a makerel spinning rod so I'll be off to the pier in Whitby this weekend to see if I can catch my tea! :cool:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Lived there, on the south coast, only got to Iraklio for airport runs or some tool shops. Lovely part of the world and some seriously nice people.
Made a tray for a family (for a funeral service) and when they asked how much it was I pointed to two framed pieces of paper on the wall and said that is payment in advance.
Both pieces of paper were signed by King George for assistance given to commonwealth soldiers during the occupation, the man must of been fifteen or so years old at the time.
Crete has a special place in my heart for many reasons.

Rob

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I have the same handline, bought it from a very nice chap on ebay. Glad to see you had some luck with it as well I used to take mine out to Umstead state park and throw a line into one of the feeder streams for Big Lake. A small hook and bobber with worms of just bread on the hook and in no time at all there's a nice 2lb Bluegill on the line.

Really good Idea using the pouch as float storage, sure beats the hell out of my ziplok baggie I've got an old Maxped pouch and I might steal your idea.:)
Hi Tarheel, I think I got mine from the same bloke, he works as a carpenter/ joiner in Stoke-On-Trent and makes these out of scrap wood on a lathe in his shed. In fact I'm going to give him a shameless bump on BCUK. Sells them for about £8 on Ebay (without postage included) and it even has some line wound onto it and basic hooks / lures in the handle! Certainly recommend him to anyone, I went to pick it up and had a good chat, he's a really nice chap. He's even made a modded one for me. Search for 'hobo fishing' on EBay and you'll find him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Hi Tarheel, I think I got mine from the same bloke, he works as a carpenter/ joiner in Stoke-On-Trent and makes these out of scrap wood on a lathe in his shed. In fact I'm going to give him a shameless bump on BCUK. Sells them for about £8 on Ebay (without postage included) and it even has some line wound onto it and basic hooks / lures in the handle! Certainly recommend him to anyone, I went to pick it up and had a good chat, he's a really nice chap. He's even made a modded one for me. Search for 'hobo fishing' on EBay and you'll find him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the same chap. I originally contacted him to see if he was willing to ship one stateside he said he would and in a few short days I was the proud owner of one of his handlines. We shot a few emails back and forth and he was a very nice gentleman to talk too. Definitely worth a mention for quality service and being an all round nice bloke.

Finally pulled mine out to snap a quick photo.
Handlines.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE