Handling A Leuku?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Hullo all,

Im looking into making a Samblade Leuko, or at least putting the handle on! Ive done a puuku before, but that was from a kit. I quite fancy a "stacked" handle of antler and curly birch, with a coronet end peice (Is there a techie word for this?) Im going with a 9" Samblade btw. A few questions for you knowledgable folk. is ther a place to buy the STRØMENG blade other than attlebourgh, as they are out of stock? Is the STRØMENG the best leuko, as I am lead to belive? What kind of quatity of materials will I need (I dont think ill do the sheath By the way)? Does that sound "comfy" to use (I know thats a funny question)? And finnaly, why are they called a Sameblade/SameKniv [I assume the later is something to do with the Sami language]?

Thanking You

Sam

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
They're called Sameknivs as they're Sami knives - nothing fancier than that I don't think!

I have the 9" sameblad and used it to make my Leuku:
comp.jpg

It's a good blade, I only bought it because I couldn't find another 9" Leuku blade. Personally I think the grind was way too obtuse to begin with, so I heightened it to what you see there. It's a brilliant cutter, using one you can see why it's been used for so long - but the grind really does need improving IMO.

The swell at the bottom (what I assume you mean by coronet?) is usually an antler crown (the swell in the antler that attaches to the head) but I just call it a swell, personally.

Hope that helps
Pete

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Puuko means knife BTW
The Saamiknife is a knife style of the Saami people from Swedish Lapland generally and a Leuku is a big knife.

Look HERE for a tutorial and search the site for materials and kits.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Puuko means knife BTW
The Saamiknife is a knife style of the Saami people from Swedish Lapland generally and a Leuku is a big knife.

Look HERE for a tutorial and search the site for materials and kits.

Samekniv in swedish typically means a small puuko style knife with antler handle and sheath. This is what's shown in the brisa link. Samekniv in norwegian typically means 8" Leuku. Confusing? Yes. The swedish samis usually carries the leukus, or samekniv in the norwegian sense, as does the norwegian samis. But samis in both countries also carries the smaller sami knives, in the swedish sense. Still not confused?

As for which sameknives are the best, well strømengs are highly regarded, I would buy a complete knife, not a blade. Not one of the sameknives I've seen has been any good IMO. Strømengs blades are made by brusletto if memory serves me right.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
The swell at the bottom (what I assume you mean by coronet?) is usually an antler crown (the swell in the antler that attaches to the head) but I just call it a swell, personally.

The "proper" word for the swell you talk of in deer terms is coronet. I thought it might have some knifey meaning? I like swell though, might keep that.

Thanks

Sam

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I just stumbled upon this thread and had to say something:).

Stuorra Niibi ( Big Knife),thats also sami language word,for knives that you call as leukus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE