O1 For a Leuku?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stonedog

Jan 6, 2006
The colonies, Kentucky
Few things first:

I live in Kentucky, the land of thick briers and hardwoods.

I also have a dandy Plumb BSA that I am going to re-handle and a Bahco Laplander Saw.....heck, I even carry a curled up bucksaw blade in a tin....and a Mora with a 3" blade as a neck knife. So, as you can see....I believe in redundancy.....mayb e a bit too much....but better safe than fracked! To quote Starbuck and Admiral Adama....did I mention my SOG Powerlock as well?

So....I have a great bush axe, but I also want a big knife.....now when I say big knife I am not talking about something that is half-a-sword. I have a Busse, a Condor Golok (modded into a parang) and a short thick parang I made myself.....I am a hobby knife maker.....a grinder. They are all awesome....but long AND heavy.

When I say big knife....I am talking about a "Leuku". I really like the 9" Stromeng....this knife will be for butchering and light chopping....more so if I need to limb saplings or small diameter trees....anything over wrist thickness gets the axe or saw....and usually the saw....it's safer.

OK....whew...I am a windbag.....

I have some O1 here at the house....1/8" thick and 1 1/2" wide.....what are your thoughts on 1/8" thick O1 for a light chopper? If I need to baton....it will be small stuff to get a hot fire going in order to burn the big or wet stuff.

Also, scandi grind or full flat with a convex?

If not O1... then what steel and what thickness? I really want to avoid 1/4" thick stuff....it puts me right back in the same boat as a heavy blade that won't out chop my axe....

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
O1 should be fine; it's a basic high carbon tool steel with very few alloying elements. Just increase the tempering temperature over what you would use for a smaller blade, so that the larger blade ends up less brittle and can cope with impact.

Grinds can be a bit personal. I wouldn't go with a conventional scandi grind for a chopping blade. These typically only have about 30 deg included angle, sometimes less, and I see this as too fragile. Perhaps a sabre grind, (this is the old name for a style of grind which it seems to have become fashionable to call a 'flandi' or 'high scandi'), or even a full flat - with either style, add a convex secondary.

On reflection, the sabre grind might serve you better in a battoning role.

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
If you take a look at leukus forged by finnish blacksmiths you'll find out that they're usually 4-5 mm (0.158''-0.197'') thick. In my experience a leuku that thick with 8''-9'' blade usually weights between 350-450 g (12.3-15.8 oz), still light enough to be carried easily, but obviously more powerful.

Bevels are usually 1/3 of total blade height; can be convex, flat with microbevel or flat with convex edge. I personally prefer this last.

The steel most frequently used is spring steel with 0,6-0,7% C as lower carbon contet steels are less prone to damage in hard uses.
Handforged blades are usually differencially treated with a "partial quenching" so to have harder edge and way softer spine. With partial quenching I mean sinking the blade in oil for a few seconds than lift it for leaving the spine out from the liquid while finishing quenching.
I'd say to temper it to 58 HRC, about.

One last thing. Remember that a leuku, if has to be called like so, must have a proper "leuku handle". Unless is just a big knife with leuku styled blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE