handling a 19th century adze.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
this week i managed to buy a 19th century adze for next to nowt,an adze is a sort of axe but not if you get my drift,anyhow its a darn useful tool for a spoon or bowl carver.ive been after one for ages and always dreamed of a nick westerman or a gransfors but i just couldn't get that sort of cash together so i was very happy to find this lil beuty, the original ash handle was rotten and full of extinct worm holes so i carved a new handle,all was well till i put the metal wedge in the top then a split appeared in the haft,i am probably gonna just fill with epoxy glue as it is very solid.The blade itself needed some grinding due to past misuse the steel is incredibly hard,i blunted a decent hacksaw on it with litle or no mark on the steel.Once completed and sharpened i had a quick go with it and it seems a very good tool,now i am keen to get a new kuksa project on the go!

19thC adze by fishfish_01, on Flickr

thanks for looking.

ringonotts

Dec 23, 2011
Basingstoke
Nice. Thats a great find.

I am currently carving my first bowl and also started looking into getting an Adze.
Needless to say I haven't bought one as I can't justify the cash at the moment. There is one on eBay from Bulgaria for £30 ish which I am considering.

I would be interested to hear if you think the tool is that good that you would pack it for a weekend away. Or if its just a good workshop addition etc.

I would want to take it with me in my camper van but space is a premium. So was thinking a bowl chisel might be more versatile and smaller.

Anyway, congratulations on finding one and god effort with the handle.

Ringo

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There is something about old hand tools, especially when they have been used. You just know that they work, and have history, and so they are a joy to use.

Nice find.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE