Handcrafted Pine Bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
I am just about to endevour on crafting my first bowl which is going to be from a pine log but i am only going to craft the bowl with hand tools.

Any advice would be fantastic, heres a pic of the log im going to use.

DSC00278.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Jamie, the advice depend on whether the wood is dry or green. It is easier to carve if it is green, particularly with hand tools, and whether they are just knives or how far you want to go with the hand tools. If you can, get yourself a mallet and a gouge. End grain pine is not the easiest of wood to carve, and your tools will have to be razor sharp. If you can, drill a largish hole in the middle, to near the depth you want. You can use a brace to do this and it will make your life a lot easier. A trick you can use to make the end grain easier to work, is a 50/50 mixture od water and isopropyl alcohol. put it in a spray bottle and mist the area you are carving, let it soak and mist again, then carve. Now I don't know if it works on pine! it works well on end grain lime so may well do so on pine. Good luck.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Pine fibers will compress when you try to push cut them. Not the easiest wood to carve a bowl out of. I think the easiest way is to burn your way in and then scrape or sand it to the final shape.

singteck

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I dunno if it's too late to suggest this for this project, but for future bowls it may help. :)

Carving is easier along the grain rather on the end grain, as has been noted. Also a bowl carved in the round like that would not be very good at holding water as it tends to seep through :( I would always split the log in two and carve a shallow bowl or trough from each half. I may be wrong when it comes ot pine as i've never carved it, but I'm guessing it holds true with it.

I'm sure it will look good when it's done whichever way round you do it! :)

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
My attempt was in vain as i started to carve out the bowl i noticed a large spilt down the side of the log, so i am going to start again with a fresh log spilt down the centre and take all the advice i have been told on this thread and try again. Thanks guys.

jamie

p.s i will post pics of every step of the bowl.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi,

Just wondering how the bowl was coming along.

Im doing the same with a lump of Oak about same shape as your Pine, and im having a real hard time.

Its like chipping away at a lump of steel - not wood ! :banghead:

( i too im my ignorance assumed i could carve out on the endgrain before giving up and splitting it in half, my crook was just genterating dst on each stroke rather tahn peeling anything off !!1! )

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i made a trough the other day out of a piece of sycamore ( i think) and as I haven't got around to making myself a crook knife, I started using my spoon hook. :( bugger that! then I started using a straight handled gouge (1 1/14" wide, 1/4" curve) that was waiting for a customer. Mush easier! :p took very little time to get the bulk of the material out, then I could tidy it up with the spoon hook. :) Just got to sand the thing and it's done

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
yeh Ioz mate mine was the same as i said in the post before i didnt notice a split in the side of the wood so i have a new piece of log and i will start again using the advice i have gathered from this thread.

i think pine is not a wood i will use in the future for bowls i think i will stick with beach and oak.

cheers jamie

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hardwoods will split less but are hard to work. Picking a softwood with even growth rings and working along the grain is the answer.

The best allround woodworking book for furniture making thru to handtools
is the 'Collins Complete Woodworker' I'm sure your local lib. has one.

Nick

Ps I'm a woodwork teacher, high school.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE