Hand sanitiser (alcohol cleaner)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I'm looking for some hand sanitiser but was wondering what everybody else uses and any good recommendations. Searching the forum doesn't come up with anything specific so what do you use?

I would be particularly interested in effectiveness, size of container and value for money (Yorkshireman :D )

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought a 6 pack of little bottles off ebay a while ago for a couple of quid, they`re good for getting most of the muck off but stubborn stuff requires a bit more scrubbing. They smell okay and they evaporate to nothing so there`s no stickiness afterwards.

I`ll try and find the link

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
i bought some small bottles of the stuff from tescos not so long back (less than a £1 a peice). Works really well, keep a bottle in my shooting coat and i get the misses to re fill the small bottles from a big one (she works i hospitals alot and they issue them with a big squirty everytime there on site)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I used to use the own brand from a cheap chemists chain (can't remember the name :eek: )
becasue there was a large amount of alcohol in it so you could fire start with it too.
I now use Hibisol - it's liquid so more difficult to keep in one place for firelighting but it's good alcohol content means it does hold a spark (just a leaf or something as a bowl).

I took it to Borneo and both Moduser and Stuart can attest to it's cleaning ability. Moduser in particular had a couple of wounds that went yellow and gungy, once the skin was broken a palm full of this stuff was splashed on. Once we peeled him off the ceiling (lol) the wound heeled with no more need for any treatment.

Great stuff

Avaliable to order normally from the chemist

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Alcohol gels etc are good to disinfect clean hands. If there is dirt and grime on the skin ther is no substitute for soap and water.

I don't carry a disinfectant but always have meths in the trangia available.

Be aware alcohol is mostly ineffective against Clostridium difficile

I suspect it may also be of limited use against C tetani but i would hope everyone is fully immunised against tetanus.

Hibiscrub, IIRC is chlorhexidine plus detergent and would be a good option where you have clean water available too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doc, if I may ?

Tetanus.
How often ought one get the jab? and since my last set raised up lumps like goose eggs do I need to get it repeated ?

cheers,
Toddy......might shift this to a new thread.

p.s. I use the 4 for £1 little bottles.......when I remember to carry them :rolleyes: the rest of the time I too use the 'wipe hands on trousers' method :blush:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmmm, thank you. It must be about eight years ago, I was supposed to get a set of three, No1 raised up like a fiery bantam's egg :confused: , No2 came up like a goose egg :eek: , No3 never happened. My doctor said it wasn't needed. Now I wonder if it's timed out sort of thing........I spend a fair amount of time working in fields and parks.

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I believe it's generally 10 years for a tetanus booster. Normally if you ask for one they'll tell you that they don't give them routinely, but if you explain that your work or hobby involves messing around with sharps in the great outdoors with limited access to medical care, they'll give you one.

As for alcohol hand gel, I've got some hospital-grade stuff I got from JohnC. Unscented, high alcohol content, works as a fuel. Can't say that I use it outdoors much though...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
We would normally give a tetanus booster if it is 10 years since the last tetanus immunisation, unless the patient has had 5 shots in their lifetime. Five shots are assumed to give satisfactory long term protection.

The exception to this rule is travellers to areas without medical attention. For these patients we would give a 10 yearly booster even if they have had 5 tetanus shots already.

Most people who get tetanus in the UK are older folk who have not been immunised in childhood.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Can we pool our knowlege on the best alcohol hand gel, alcohol content, burnability, etc, etc.

If one could be found that did the job, did not stink like a Turkish brothel keepers armpit and was a good emegency fire lighter or you could run a stove on it. Dual purpose is the perfect bushcraft solution.

http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/default.asp?productId=F78048

I found this, very cheap for 500ml of gel. 70% alcohol. Anybody find anything better?

Sandsnakes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE