Hand Drill show off...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Last week I went to my daughters cub pack and did a quick demo on using a bow drill. I had a simple set up, sycamore on sycamore, and explained I was no expert. My daughter volunteered me so I thought I why not.

In the dim light of dusk it went fine and we got a nice ember which showed up really well, transferred to a honey suckle/birch bark/thistle and reedmace tinder bundle, blow, blow, blow pop and some nice flames. Job done.

Then the scout leader came over and said 'have you done hand drill?'. I haven't, I've tried a few times and realise from reading on here that it requires a lot of dedication. I explained I was unsure of the best drill/hearth materials and as such wouldn't know if I really even had a chance. He said he had... first time he tried... hmm. He said he was whittling a piece of hazel and thought 'i'll give it a go'. hazel drill on hazel board and old man's beard for tinder.

I'm not a competitive chap, I'm happy if he has done it and would love it if I could actually see it being done under my nose, but part of me can't help thinking that he was marking his territory!

So hazel on hazel? first ever attempt... what do you guys think?!

Leo

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmmm ......
I would like to be proven wrong but... for that I would want to watch it being done before I gave the claim credence!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive tried Hazel on Hazel for the hand drill and never had any luck with it at all, not to say it doesnt work, but ive never had any joy.

Id ask the chap if perhaps he could do a demo of the hand drill using hazel on hazel for the Cubs one evening:)

Thanks guys! I have been lurking on here following other's right of passage to the holey grail... many fall!

I wouldn't want to compromise his god like status with the kids but I did think hazel might be a little hard. I'm still not sure of what qualities are needed in the materials for successful hand drill and that coupled with poor technique means I'm still on that path!

Leo

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
I do belive he is talking nonsense mate. He has seen it on Tv perhaps.

I have met loads of scout leaders and random member sof the public who remember doing bow drill and hand drill in th epast but are unable to reproduce the event when asked if they want a go. Not sure what that means.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Impressive if he's managed it first time!

I know how long it took me to get things right for bow drill before I had success.

I've tried hand drill a few times with my own set-up with no success. I have succeeded with a Masai set my Dad brought back from his travels - we knew it would work as it was the set that had been used to demo it to the tourists, not one that was on a stall afterwards. Bloomin' hard work with that.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I would be suspicious of that claim.

My preferred combination for bow drill is in fact hazel on hazel, but for hand drill I don't think that is a good combination at all. Knowing the energy and friction that is needed for hazel/hazel to produce an ember I just don't think you can drill hard enough, fast enough or long enough by hand.

The reason that elder and clematis is such a popular set up for hand drilling is that both of them are less dense and therfore don't need as much energy input to get hot enough to create dust and an ember. Pithy woods are ideal for a drill and hazel is not pithy.

Mind you, IF he did in fact do it and he did use hazel then I would love to have seen him do it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE