Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
I'm interested in trying hammock camping.
I already own a DD Travel Hammock with mossie net and an ex-military basha. Should I go the underblanket and quilt route or use an existing sleeping bag? I have an ex-military bag which is rated below 0 degree C.
I have had a look at http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft-articles/camp/hammocking-a-pictorial-guide already, so any information would be appreciated.
Also if anyone is looking to part company with their underblanket look no further.
Best regards

Ian

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For winter camping I'd say get an underblanket, I wish I'd bought one sooner rather than messing about with camping mats and waking up with a cold back. I still use a full sleeping bag with mine just because it's a good bag and I'm determined to use it rather than stick it in a cupboard for months. I realise the bag gets crushed underneath me so a quilt will do just as well, but on a cold winter night I like snuggling down into a good bag.

For the rest of the year you can comfortably use a thermarest and just slide it between the layers.

One thing I'd say about the underblanket is it doesn't pack down very small, not sure about the quilts as I've not seen one in the flesh. I have to use a 75L pack in the winter when I'm using the UB, in summer with a thermarest I can get everything into a 35 or 45L pack.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Like Shewie says, for colder weather I consider an underblanket to be a must. In fact I now have mine permenantly attached to my hammock.

Unlike Shewie, I use the quilt as well, and am equally impressed with it. Having said that, I found that anything below about minus 4, for me at least, is beyond its comfort level.

HTH

Simon

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I recon you should try out what you have first.
Then you'll have something to compare later additions/alternatives against.
It will take a number of nights to discover whether you like the hammock tight or loose, sleep straight or diagonal etc etc.
An old sleeping bag can be made into an underblanket or an all encompassing pod.
Hammockforums.net has a wealth of information on the various methods of keeping warm in a hammock - but it all take a little trial and error to see if any particular method suits you.
I have a homemade system which I can take along if weight and bulk are not an issue, but I have to resort to a pad and sleeping bag if I'm backpacking - I simply can't afford to buy gucci kit for every eventuality.

ATB

Ogri the trog

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Try First Then Buy Or Make,the Other Thing You Can Do Is Dig A Small Trench Or Hole Just Below You This Will Keep Forcing Cold Air Into It,AS IN WINTER YOU SHOULD SLEEP LOWER TO THE GROUND THAN SUMMER,CAPPI

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
I also tend to sleep on my side, and use a Dutch issue roll mat (17mm) in my DD travel hammock. The thickness of the mat enables me to acquire this position quite easily.

Happy hammocking Matt

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I just looked at the ebay listing --- £130 for an underquilt! Why pay this when you can make a prefectly good underquilt from an old cheapo sleeping bag?

£130 is for the underblanket and quilt together, the blanket alone is £72.50

I'm lazy and bought one but I do agree a homemade jobby could work with some effort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE