Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I'd echo the advice above about UK Hammocks. It's a British company producing hand made hammocks in Britain! If you ask what is the best hammock money can buy, a lot of people will tell you to get a Warbonnet blackbird hammock. They're very expensive as you need to get them sent across from the states. Mat from UK Hammocks (I've not connection by the way, apart from being a happy customer) produces hammocks which are every bit as good (if not better) but cost much less. He'll also make it bespoke to your needs. He also supplies his hammocks with the tree huggers and whoppie slings which make life so much easier when setting up and adjusting the hammock, you don't get this feature as standard with most of the DD or Tenth Wonder hammocks. (DD Superlight range does but others don't)

Getting a hammock that enables a diagonal lay is essential in my opinion as it means you can enjoy a flat lay and avoid any discomfort that you may otherwise experience on the back of your legs/knees. Take the time to go on youtube and watch Shugemerys guide to hammocking, the guy is hilarious and also knows his stuff when it comes to hammocking.

Hennesey hammocks are also very good and have an assymetrical design which enables a diagonal lay. Best thing about these is that they have a tarp built into the system. Several of my camping buddies use these and swear by them.

An underblanket is essential, the DD Underblanket works well, is affordable and also packs down nice and small

I'd also recommend Alpkit sleeping bags, they make some great quality kit at affordable prices. The reason they're affordable is because they only sell online but many people on here will vouch for the quality of their kit. I have their cheapest synthetic bag and its kept me warm on several camping trips through the winter months.

40ltr is a nice size bag to use. It will make you think carefully about what you want to take (so that you don't pack the kitchen sink) but still give you enough room so that you can be comfortable and warm. All in all, I find that I can get my UK hammocks Woodsman, Alpkit Mountain ghost sleeping bag, DD underblanket, 3m x3m tarp, spare clothes, cook kit, tools, food and water into a 38ltr rucksack (British Army NI Patrol Pack). There's usually enough room to squeeze in a couple of beers too!!

Damo!

May 10, 2016
Hitchin
Bit of a thread revival, but a good thread. Had my heart set on a DD Travel hammock but after reading through, i've jut email UK Hammock querying their Woodsman X Hammock.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Well i will cut to the chase i have been wanting to invest in a hammock for a while but i don't know if it could handle me im 6 foot 4 inch tall and about 20 stone so not a little guy most likely why my friends call me yogi bear haha

But back to the question i hope the trees could handle me but would a hammock be able to support me with ease or should i stick to ground camping

Cheers
Cumbrian lad

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Well i will cut to the chase i have been wanting to invest in a hammock for a while but i don't know if it could handle me im 6 foot 4 inch tall and about 20 stone so not a little guy most likely why my friends call me yogi bear haha

But back to the question i hope the trees could handle me but would a hammock be able to support me with ease or should i stick to ground camping

Cheers
Cumbrian lad

This seems to get good reviews.. a few folk on here have bought one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enjoydeal-Outdoor-Traveling-Camping-Parachute/dp/B00J7L9HXE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1463243825&sr=8-6&keywords=hammock

Nevyn

May 15, 2016
Whitstable
I have a Hennessy explorer deluxe asym. Loads of room can take up to 300lbs on the bag. Not sure how much over that it can take however. It is an awesome sleep:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE