Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dciburnside35

Mar 28, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need some help as I've never used a hammock and don't know wether to buy one to use with my tarp or sleep on the floor. I'm new to bushcraft and have been fishing for years in a tent and am slowly moving away from it but don't know what is the best option. I want to carry on fishing but incorporate bushcraft more so would appreciate help on sleep systems. My rucksack is 40 ltr so size and weight is crucial but money not so much an issue as I've sold alot of expensive fishing equipment and feel that I shouldn't scrimp on a sleep system as a bad nights sleep from experience is the worst thing for my enjoyment of the outdoors.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
I got a tenth wonder green hornet hammock last year for canoe camping. It's far, far more comfortable than a tent and feels a lot more spacious.

Thoroughly recommend it.

Andy

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
I use a WoodsmanX Hammock , by UKHammocks. This is cut and made for an Asymmetrical lay, diagonal across the Hammock... this is far superior and gives great comfort for a flat lay and less stress on the knees.

Also look at the Blackbird Hammock, by Warbonnet Hammocks ( US Company, UK Hammocks stock their gear ). Also Asymmetrical in the Cut.

Ticket to the moon, they do a spacious Hammock, but I don't think you get a Mozzie net with these or the other features like Pockets and pouches that you get with the Two options mentioned above.

I used to have a DD Travel Hammock, with the waterproof base, so you can use it on the floor if necessary.... worst experience of Hammocking I ever had, cos of the non-breathable waterproof layer, I had Maddening problems with condensation build up in the bottom of my Hammock while in the Cambrian Mountains for a few days Hiking out... Not good. Ditched the thing when I got back and bought the WoodsmanX... DD Hammocks as far as I know are not specifically design to an asymmetrical pattern, and generally give you a straight lateral lay along the Hammock, this can be rather tight on the Knees for some people, can depend on how tall you are.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I also have a DD Travel and do like to sleep warm. I get a bit of condensation yes but nothing that is not aired during the day.

dciburnside35

Mar 28, 2016
United Kingdom
Lots of questions still, like the idea of a hammock but how warm are they, do you need an under blanket aswell as a sleeping bag, little bit limited to location fishing wise as a struggle to find 2 trees to pitch(I won't always be fishing mind) as I'm limited to rucksack space would it be easier to use my tarp in a tent like configuration and sleep on a blow up mattress with my sleeping bag. Appreciate the replys guys I'm a bit of a novice to all this so bare with me.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Hammocks are the Snizz, and they're Warm & snug, if you kit up for the correct season. In cold weather yes, an under-quilt or a good air mat is essential ( go for the under-quilt in my opinion ), decent sleeping bag... either a good 4 season bag, or have a choice of Two to use for Winter and Summer. I personally use Carinthia Bags ( Defence 4 & Tropen models ). You can also get a Hammock Quilt, so instead of using a Bag in yer Hammock ( I never sleep in the Bag, I use it as a quilt when in the Hammock, easier to use and get comfy), you use a Hammock Quilt.

Yes, my opinion is use the Tarp... whether it be with Hammock or on the floor. Get yer self a decent Bivvy Bag for on the floor ( I personally use a US Army MSS Bivvy cover, they're hard as nails ), you are of course going to have to use a sleep mat of some sort, again depending on the season, and whether you make a bed platform out of Boughs. ( Thermarest do a wide range of quality choices, from basic foam mats to high-tech air matts... to be fair even their foam mats are high-spec designed ).

In terms of pack space to fit it all in... depends what size pack you have now.

dciburnside35

Mar 28, 2016
United Kingdom
Thanks Richard, some really good advice there, a good idea of what is essential for a system to use both in a hammock or on the ground. I haven't got a sleeping bag yet as I'm still clawing through review after review on all the equipment I need but I have got my lightweight dd tarp sf bivvy bag. Trying to buy the right stuff and not waste money so should have joined this forum along time ago. You've been a massive help thanks bud.

Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Now, I'm no seasoned bushcraft expert, but i do have experience to share around the hammock debate..

I have slept in cheap conventional hammocks, years ago, and although they were more comfortable in some ways, the fact that i wasn't laying flat meant that they were uncomfortable. being quite tall didn't help the matter.

Anyways, years elapsed and any outdoor sleeping i did was in a tent after that.. Until a year or two ago when i heard of a Norwegian company called Amok. They have produced a hammock, called 'Draumr' - they're up to version 3.0. Its a fairly unique design, from what i can see, that you lay perpendicular to the trees. Because of this, you need some sort of full length air bed.. The Amok comes with built in midge net as well as a neat feature meaning you can use it like a chair around the camp fire etc..

I bought one and have used it a few times in anger.. I really like it. Its a very comfortable sleep and due to the straps, you can sleep with your head elevated if needed and also you can sleep on your side, front or back without issue. It comes with a silnylon type tarp and the whole setup is pre rigged, making it almost fool proof to set up.

cons.. hmm, well I'm 6'2'' and i don't think i could be any bigger.. For conventional sized people, then this wouldn't be an issue. Another issue, which i guess is inherent of sleeping in a hammock is stability.. it take a bit of getting used to, getting in and out without looking like a seal caught in a net!

I also had the reservation about not having trees around, so have mitigated this by carrying a lightweight bivvy. as yet, an untested concept for me, but in theory, should allow bivvying with reasonable comfort as you carry a sleeping mat for the amok anyways. If you were using the hammock and it was colder than normal, you could use the bivvy in the hammock for a little extra insulation..

http://www.amokequipment.com/the-hammock/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj9IihjjpuU

I use an exped downmat with the amok, and got the tarp system which amok do, which I'm really impressed with too.

dciburnside35

Mar 28, 2016
United Kingdom
That looks amazing, why have I not seen that before, now I'm not sure what to buy flyingfisherman. I like the way it has like 2 settings with being able to turn into a chair.

Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
that is a really good feature.. its such a comfortable way to sit and after a few days without a comfortable seat, you'll really appreciated such features!

The tarp can be used separately, so if there weren't any trees, you could bivvy out and use the tarp (with some walking poles or branches).

Where in the UK are you?

Other cons i guess, is cost. they're not the cheapest, and by the time you've added a mat, you can be talking pretty serious wonga.. I've come to the conclusion over the years to buy right first time..

dciburnside35

Mar 28, 2016
United Kingdom
I'm in peterborough, right next to Holme wood, a big nature reserve. Pretty lucky having that on my doorstep. I agree with your view that buying once is the way to go as it will cost less in the long run I feel so cost is not so much of an issue as I'm more interested in carrying less, learning more on the bushcraft side and trying not to get so hooked up on gear only ( sounds easier than it is ). Thanks for taking the time to post, much appreciated.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Ive recently moved from tents to tarp and hammock/bivy bag myself. Only had 3 nights out in the hammock, but i am finding it comfortable.

My plan is similar to yours, if theres no trees ill set the tarp up on the ground as a shelter and then use a bivy bag and sleep pad. If there are trees, the tarp and hammock gets set up, and i use the sleeping mat inside the hammock instead of a underquilt. I cant comment on how warm this is really compared to an underquilt, but from reading around plenty of people seem to just use a mat. I also have a midge net that goes over the hammock, and i plan to bivy inside it on the ground if midges are bad also, as thats my only problem with bivy bags. Not tried it yet, but i think it'll work alright.

So all in im carrying a tarp, hammock, bivy bag, giving me the choice of ground or hanging. Probably works out not much less weight than my 1.2kg tent, but gives me lots more options.
I went with the DD superlight range, and i already had the bivi bag, so i was about £144 for the hammock,tarp,mosquito net, at about 920g, then pegs etc onto that weight

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Trig - One word of warning (depending on the mat you have..)

Ive got an exped downmat XP 9LW. I also have the alpkit hunka.. Its a bit tight to say the least in terms of the mat inside the bivvy and you.. I've not tried it with a sleeping bag yet, but it may not work very well in terms of compressing the bag.

I'm considering getting a 9M or a 7M instead.. Its a shame as the downmat i have now has literally been used once!

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Yea, id read about that, but i see they do an XL hunka also, so it'd be worth a look before buying.
Though, couldnt you just use your mat outside the bivy bag? Unless it cant get wet, dont know about the downmats, ive got a thermarest.

Do like the look of that Amok though. Just a tad on the heavy side for my liking, but looks brilliant

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Sorry trig, i forgot to say that mine is the XL Hunka.. yeah, that was the other thought that i had, to use the mat outside the bag.. it can get wet, but I'm not sure how durable the exped would be in terms of punctures..

Feb 14, 2016
Hampshire
Good advice here. Really appreciate reading the posts. I recently got hold of a paracord hammock. Anyone had any experience with them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Paracord hammock...
I have one that I use as a gear rack in the woods but kit does tend to snag in it. For sleeping in; no chance.

I have a DD frontline which I can't fault, previous to this I tried the travel hammock which did result in condensation as others have mentioned. I liked the idea of pitching without trees but a frontline will also do this just without an internal groundsheet.

For the price, I'd say you can't go wrong with the frontline as a newbie. I have yet to look at others, but at 6' 2 and generally a side sleeper I find it really comfortable.

Hope it helps...

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
One thing to look at with the amok, i'v not looked at it too closely but i think you have to use thier own funny shaped tarp which doesnt batton down very well in bad weather

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Aye, the concept looks unique... but the means to shelter successfully under a Tarp in the worst weather... On this island; Wind & Rain of a brutal nature. Looks a bit of an awkward contraption and that yellow tarp I see in the vids perhaps could do with being some what larger...

Though I say this from not having physical experience with it. 'Spose if I'm going to spend Hundreds of Pounds on a Hammock system... I'd be putting my money down for another WoodsmanX, or a Warbonnet Blackbird. I'd want it giving me a Lateral lay in between the Trees then with a 3x3 Tarp you'll going to be hunkered down well & truly in yer Hammock on a bad night's weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE