Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Agree with all of that apart from the 3x3 tarp. When the weather gets really nasty i want a proper 12 foot winter hammock tarp with doors, a la warbonnet superfly

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Agree with all of that apart from the 3x3 tarp. When the weather gets really nasty i want a proper 12 foot winter hammock tarp with doors, a la warbonnet superfly

You know, mate... I've been casting my eyes over that Superfly Tarp for a while now... watched many a vid of people putting it to use... looks a proper bit of kit with a serious amount of enclosure. I must say the 3x3 has served me well enough... but yes, always room for improvement, and this Superfly Tarp has brought me to the conclusion that this is what I need to complete my set-up.

I assume you have one...?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Not actually a superfly but one built to the same spec by a cottage maker here in the uk. He goes by scotty von porkchop on the forums and scottytemplar on ebay
i'v had two tarps from him and Cant reccomend him enough. His work is top notch and prices are very very keen

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
You say budget is not much of an issue?
But packsize is?
I say get a really light hammock and the best down insulation you can buy, that will give you room in your pack (and plenty of empty space in your wallet too!)
But don't go for really light hammocks that are really light because they are short (unless you are an Oompa Lumpa),
A Dutchware 11' single layer in Hexon 1.0 is only 230 grammes and will fit anyone up to 6'6" (maybe more). It's only 346 grammes even if you add in the treestraps and whoopie slings.
It is a very simple hammock, but mucho comfortable, weight is kept down by not using a built in bugnet, but you can easily add a Fronkey bugnet (160 grammes) to you setup when the beasties are biting.

HammockGear do some of the lightest quilts around, they use 850 fill goose down and the lightest materials. A Phoenix 20 underquilt and Burrow 20 topquilt will see you toasty down to -6°C. Together they only weigh 527 + 437 = 964 grammes.
You could go even lighter still, if you went for the 40°F (4°C) versions (389 + 322 = 711g)
Or Loco Libre is an option, they use 950 fill down to get the weight even lighter, with more cost.

Scotty should be able to offer you stuff that comes up to the standards set by these American manufacturers, and you won't have to pay duty.

LINKS
http://www.dutchwaregear.com
http://www.hammockgear.com
http://www.locolibregear.com

dciburnside35

Mar 28, 2016
United Kingdom
I've got to say I can't thank you all enough, plenty of info on equipment and systems people use and the flaws that come with certain brands. Has made my decision an easier one to make.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm very interested in that Amok. I've been using a Claytor Mosquito hammock, but it's not designed very well IMO. I can do a night or two, but it's not comfortable enough for more. Back and knees start to feel it after the second night.

More recently I bought a Hunka XL to increase my options. I can see me parting with my rarely used air rifle and bunging some of the cash at an Amok.

Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
I'm very interested in that Amok. I've been using a Claytor Mosquito hammock, but it's not designed very well IMO. I can do a night or two, but it's not comfortable enough for more. Back and knees start to feel it after the second night.

More recently I bought a Hunka XL to increase my options. I can see me parting with my rarely used air rifle and bunging some of the cash at an Amok.

What air rifle do you have?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What air rifle do you have?

BSA Ultra SE, fully kitted, but just not seeing any use. I'd say in 2 years it's seen no more than 200 pellets through it, my gas bottle is still almost full. I don't have a great interest in shooting the two pairs of collared doves that inhabit my garden, I've known them for longer than I've had the rifle. Or shooting the rooks in the huge rookery opposite, I've come to like them, and why shoot something that isn't doing any harm to my garden? It does a bit of plinking when we go camping in Kent. A once a year outing just isn't enough use for such a capable little hunter.

So, it sits in the cupboard, gets oiled and treated to the occasional mag of pellets to keep the seals and parts in order, back in the cupboard again.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi all, I need some help as I've never used a hammock and don't know wether to buy one to use with my tarp or sleep on the floor.

Do both. :lmao:

My mate Dave at Bardsters a few years ago. He's not great with knots.

IMG_1042.jpg

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Probably worth getting rid of the air rifle sooner than later if you intend to, before they bring out the new license scheme, which i believe is a definite goer now. Not sure how it'll work selling it afterwards if you dont have a licence.

Collyboy

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
I've used the Amok and I'm not a fan, it makes a better seat than it does a bed I found the foot box annoying and uncomfortable. My advice would be to buy a decent hammock from Dutch, Warbonnet, UK Hammocks etc. Or even a Ticket to the Moon hammock my wife bought me a full set up from them and its great I've only used the tarp once as I prefer more coverage but its a comfy hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE