Hammocks Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

dave038

Hello all
im looking for some help in buying a hammock seems to be so many types,
some advice on what you all like to use setups etc would be great. also been looking for tarps that i can use in the field. any advice would be much appreciated

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i use a DD hammock which cost me about £25 of ebay and a tatonka 3x3 tarp which cost me abut £45 they are both great
leon

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
You should try www.ecamo.co.uk - i know they do a good price on the 2.4m x 3m camo tarps! Friend got a couple and i ended up with one... very impressed :)

They do sell hammocks too... but not sure what they are like as still have yet to purchase my first one too :)

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
My all-time favorite hammock is the Mosquito Hammock, Expedition model. It's a two-layer base with a mosquito net built in, and side-zipper entry. It's not as light as a Hennessy Hammock, but I think the side entry and the ability to turn it over when you don't want the net, make the extra weight worthwhile.

I own at least a dozen hammocks, and it's the one I take to the woods most often.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I think any silnlyon tarp would be good. I like one about 8 ft. (~2.5 m) square. I pitch this on the diagonal, so it overhangs each end of the hammock by a about a foot.

I've used 7 x 9 tarps and 8 x 10 tarps as well. The main thing to find your comfort zone between coverage and weight.

Bear

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
dchinell said:
My all-time favorite hammock is the Mosquito Hammock, Expedition model. It's a two-layer base with a mosquito net built in, and side-zipper entry. It's not as light as a Hennessy Hammock, but I think the side entry and the ability to turn it over when you don't want the net, make the extra weight worthwhile.

I own at least a dozen hammocks, and it's the one I take to the woods most often.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I think any silnlyon tarp would be good. I like one about 8 ft. (~2.5 m) square. I pitch this on the diagonal, so it overhangs each end of the hammock by a about a foot.

I've used 7 x 9 tarps and 8 x 10 tarps as well. The main thing to find your comfort zone between coverage and weight.

Bear

Would have to agree with the above, reads like what I would have typed.

D

dave038

Thanks they are well priced, still a bit unsure as to what i should be looking for in a hammock.
Also dose anyone know a site that sells the sabre 75 with the rocket packs.
Thanks again for the help.

paulcd

Tenderfoot
Got my sabre 75 second hand but sold it again...they don't have adjustable backs and mine was a standard size...I needed a bigger one. Christ, did my shoulders hurt as I hunched forward to carry the weight!
I hire tarps, hennesy hammocks, tipis for use in our woodland www.yellowwood.co.uk, but you could just as easily go to the Christmas moot and make your decision there...its only a month away!

Oct 25, 2006
england
the dd hamocks are really good and well worth the money,but select a different tarp.and use karabiners for quick slinging of the hammock.

D

dave038

thats a good idea paul.
would make sence to wait till i can see these things in person.
il have to find out when at christmass and where.
i live in the north east but dont mind traveling just need to put holidays in for it ...
Cheers :)

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
british army jungle hammock, can be used with saplings to make a-frame, can be strung in trees, can be used as a stretcher and its very well made, cost £9.50 from anchor surplus in ripley

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
the only hammock i have bought is a mini one from a army serplus, its nylon webbing. it was too small and it broke instantly - so i dont advise it but it was only £6

KB1HZM

Sep 14, 2006
North Adams, MA USA
Im also thinking about getting a hammock as well and am looking at the HH and the DD hammocks. i like the hh hammocks for the 4 season ability with the upgrade. But i like the DD for the price and simplicity. would like any opinion also

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
KB1HZM said:
Im also thinking about getting a hammock as well and am looking at the HH and the DD hammocks. i like the hh hammocks for the 4 season ability with the upgrade. But i like the DD for the price and simplicity. would like any opinion also
DD looks like a bargain, but I have found from personal experiences that looks can be deceptive. I am 6’1” and not a light chap, and DD hammock is to short and narrow for me. I had to replace to strings(paracord) that came with the hammock in the end it cost me £15 extra. For a tarp I’d recommend doing a search on evilbay for camo tarps I paid £8 for a 12x9 that does what I want it for, namely keep me, my hammock, and my kid dry. Tag on a few quid for some paracord and yet more for half a dozen pegs to complete the outfit and the DD option doesn’t look so cheap anymore

KB1HZM

Sep 14, 2006
North Adams, MA USA
Tadpole said:
DD looks like a bargain, but I have found from personal experiences that looks can be deceptive. I am 6’1” and not a light chap, and DD hammock is to short and narrow for me. I had to replace to strings(paracord) that came with the hammock in the end it cost me £15 extra. For a tarp I’d recommend doing a search on evilbay for camo tarps I paid £8 for a 12x9 that does what I want it for, namely keep me, my hammock, and my kid dry. Tag on a few quid for some paracord and yet more for half a dozen pegs to complete the outfit and the DD option doesn’t look so cheap anymore

so Are you suggesting to go with the HH hammock with the 4 season upgrade? which cost around 250 US or just improvise with the DD?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
KB1HZM said:
so Are you suggesting to go with the HH hammock with the 4 season upgrade? which cost around 250 US or just improvise with the DD?
I'm suggesting nothing, just giving up what happened to me after I bought a DD hammock. If I'd known just what I would have to do, to get my hammock system working, I'd have not bothered, I've have spent my money on something else. but that is just me. I like sleeping in my tent, my daughter has had more use out of the hammock, she is seven.

that is my take, YMMV

Kees

Nov 15, 2006
H.I.Ambacht, the Netherlands
I am using the Hennessy hammock for a couple of years know and they are great, the A-sym version makes it very comfortable, mosquito netting is attached and an tarp included in the package as well.
Different colours available, olive and camo, so great for going into the bush!
they are manufactored in Canada, but there is a sales office in the UK as well.
check out www.hennessyhammock.com

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I haven't used a Hennessy, or even seen one close up, but anyway... While yu do get the complete package, I'd be worried that you don't have the flexibility that you get from a separate tarp / mozzie net. And lets face it, they're not cheap...

OK, if you go down the DD / Group Buy / etc route you need to get a tarp. But you can choose whatever tarp you like, from a cheapie surplus basha sheet to a monster Tatonka or Kathmandu tarp - and a tarp is a generally handy thing to have anyway, even if you're tent camping.

The DD in an encloseable hammock, so you don't actually need a net unless you're going somewhere malarial, when you need to worry about the little b****rs drilling up through the hammock itself. And if you do get a net, you have the option of not using it - if there's not many midges around, I find the openess of not having a net much preferable.

I'm not knocking the Hennessy, I'm sure it's a great bit of kit. :) And I would agree that if you're more than 6' tall or very heavily built, then the DD might be too small. TBH, I'm planning on replacing mine with a group buy hammock to get more space - but it was a good, cheap introduction to the world of hammocking.

Really, the best thing to do is to try and get along to one of the meets - then you can look at lots of different options, and maybe even try some of them out if you ask nicely. ;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
KB1HZM said:

In the spirit of the recent Pay it Froward threads I think I can help you out here.If you PM me your details I'll send you a DD hammock with built in insect net.

I've got both types of DD hammock, the non insect net one is slightly larger and therfore more comfortable ( to give you an idea I'm 6ft and the netted ones OK but a little too snug for me sometimes, if your bigger you might not get one with it at all ) I've also got a Group Buy insect net already and a GB hammock on order, so if I was going anywhere where I was too worried about bites I'd probably take them anyway.

You'll have to source your own tarp I'm afraid, I'm hanging onto that until I get a Tatonka TC2 or Hennessy Hex Fly, if we could get the sinylon ones over here I'd probably get both, in time. I'd recomend you getting one of the Hex Fly yourself, especially if your new to hammocking, the extra coverage it gives seems well worth the little extra cost over the standard Hennessy tarp.

Might take a while to get across the ocean so hope your not in too much of a hurry. It'll give you a feel for hammocking but if your looking at 4 season stuff and you get on well with the DD I'd sugest try a search for Kiss bottom Quilt.

If your thinking of getting one of the more expensive HHs it might also be worth having looking at Clark hammocks http://www.junglehammock.com/ I've always fancied the North American model myself but their ultralight model fall into about the same price range as the HHs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE