Hammocks for the big guys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys could advice me on a small issue... well not so small as you will so find out.

I want to get a hammock as they look so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, however i am about 24 stone, i emailed the DD guys to ask what there hammock can take and came back with 21 stone, so no good for me. Is there any other hammock out there that can stand up to my weight or can the DD hammock be modified to be stronger? whats its weak points?

or will i be a ground dweller until i lose weight or chop off my leg?

Cheers

T.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys could advice me on a small issue... well not so small as you will so find out.

I want to get a hammock as they look so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, however i am about 24 stone, i emailed the DD guys to ask what there hammock can take and came back with 21 stone, so no good for me. Is there any other hammock out there that can stand up to my weight or can the DD hammock be modified to be stronger? whats its weak points?

or will i be a ground dweller until i lose weight or chop off my leg?

Cheers

T.
PM magikelly he might have a group buy running, His hammocks will take 24 stone, well mind did.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
24 stone x 14lb / 2.2 = 152.72 kg

I dont know where i went wrong but just realised 150kg is a bit under 24stone... ok my next question is, as i would be at the top limited of the manufactures limits, what could i do to make a hammock stronger (just to be able to sleep with a bit more faith i wont hit the floor in the middle of the night cos something gives)

stronger/thicker webbing or using carabiners?

can anyone my weight confirm if the hammock is ok?

T.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The weakest part of the hammock would probably be the actual stitching being able to get a purchase on the fabric. I expect there'll come a point when however strong the thread is it'll just rip out of the nylon before failing.

The webbing or crab would be fine if you got decent stuff but I don't think that's the issue anyway.

Sounds like you're sticking to the ground Tank unless you can shed a few pounds.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
yeah as scuba says - i would get a tenth wonder one and just try it - now whether or not you will be comfy in anything other than a bigger hammock is the next question, I'm a FB myself and know that the Nomads XXL one is the only one that I've been truly comfy in. Took 3 hammocks and a 18 months of uncomfortable outings to convince myself of this tho :)

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
i had a similar problem to you. been 7 foot tall and weighing in at 152 kgs its been a nightmare getting a hammock sorted.. but i emailed the nice people at tenth-wonder and they made me a special extra long one *at no extra cost* and yeah they are tested to over 250 kgs so the weight is not a problem :) now i just need to find a extra large tarp lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE