Hammocks for chest sleepers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Syrio

Aug 14, 2012
Midlands
I have noticed quite a few hammockers on here but in the past dismissed them out of hand because I sleep on my chest. I cannot sleep properly on my back at all and on my side is kind of in the middle, its doable but not great.

Now im curious, are there any chest sleepers on here that do alright in hammocks?.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
In was a chest sleeper, legs akimbo and arms out the side of the bed-looking like I've hit the pavement after falling off a building. I used to sleep on my chest in my DD travel, after a few years of my hammock obsession though, its permanently changed how I sleep in the hammock.

I fall asleep on my back and wake up in the same position now. Occasionally, I'll sleep on my side in them.

Everyone is vastly different though and no-one will be able to tell you how you will find them.

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I slept in my tenth wonder hammock for an entire night for the fisrt time awhile ago, at some point I was on my back, then on my side, and also on my front [I do tend to move alot in my sleep] I did find it comfy in all sleeping positions [but then I have been known to fall asleep standing up wedged in a corner on a bus] as long as you keep your head tilted to one side I can't see any issue. I did have the hammock quite taught so it was relativley flat also sleeping across the hammock forces it even flatter. Although I have read somewhere that hammocks are better if they are set with a definite curve - I'm not sure why - but I'd still prefer a more horizontal setup.

for a tenner I got my hammock which I though was a reasonable waste if I didn't get on with it - the only way your going to know is by giving it a try:)

Last edited:

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I generally sleep on my chest but in my hammock (DD Travel) although it's possible to sleep on my chest, I generally sleep on my side although the shape on the hammock seems to gradually roll me onto my back.

I tend to have my hammock hung pretty straight so it's easier to wriggle into a comfy position but I would imagine that a hammock slung at a steeper angle would make front sleeping difficult (unless you can literally bend over backwards).

Would you be able to try out someone's hammock to see if it would suit you? I'm constantly experimenting with mine to find different hangs/tensions etc so you may well stumble upon a solution that works for you.

Syrio

Aug 14, 2012
Midlands
In was a chest sleeper, legs akimbo and arms out the side of the bed-looking like I've hit the pavement after falling off a building

Hah spot on this is me aswell, maybe we should make a facebook group for it.

Sadly I dont have any camping aficionados in my circles of friends and family I have to do it all han solo.

Still if some of you can sleep ok in them maybe I can too!, might just buy a cheap thing to try then if its ok get a DD traveler or something. I like the sound of tying it tight enough to sleep flat though, if there's no downsides to that.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
There are several in the US that actually provide a flat base - they have stretchers at either end of the hammock. I'll try to remember what they're called!

greensurfingbear

I fall asleep every night sleeping on my chest in my king sized bed when at home and I'll be honest I did find it hard the first night in a hammock. Didn't sleep well at all. Funnily enough got used to it really quickly. Now have no problems at all swinging In the trees :)

Orric

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
One of them is the
Jacks are Better - Bear mountain bridge and can be found on the jrb website
Just google jacks are better.

Looks like a very good hammock, would'nt mind one myself except for the price!!!

Think there are some reviews of it on youtube.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
One of them is the
Jacks are Better - Bear mountain bridge and can be found on the jrb website
Just google jacks are better.

Looks like a very good hammock, would'nt mind one myself except for the price!!!

Think there are some reviews of it on youtube.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There are several in the US that actually provide a flat base - they have stretchers at either end of the hammock. I'll try to remember what they're called!

They are called bridge hammocks, they come in several guises. Its not something I've ever used as the shoulder squeeze is a reported issue and my shoulders are a bit wide.

There are other ways of getting a flatter lay. Getting a longer hammock is one, as is laying on a diagonal. Another is to buy a hammock with a 'Footbox'- the famous Warbonnet Blackbird is one, UK Hammocks make one too with an adjustable kind of 'Footbox'

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They are called bridge hammocks, they come in several guises. Its not something I've ever used as the shoulder squeeze is a reported issue and my shoulders are a bit wide.

There are other ways of getting a flatter lay. Getting a longer hammock is one, as is laying on a diagonal. Another is to buy a hammock with a 'Footbox'- the famous Warbonnet Blackbird is one, UK Hammocks make one too with an adjustable kind of 'Footbox'

I tried a JRB BMBH bridge for a while and didn't like the shoulder squeeze, the flat lay thing is a complete myth too, have a look at someone inside one and you'll see they're no flatter than a conventional hammock. Give me a wide and long hammock any day over a bridge.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Jacks are better - that's the one I saw recently! As you say, some good youtube vids, and it seems that shoulders - depending on the hammock chosen - aren't too much of a problem.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
jacks r better bridge hammock for me, lays flatter than usual gathered end hammocks but as its been mentioned they tend to sqeeze on the shoulders, i use a exped down mat to resolve that problem and also to insulate from the bottom.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They are called bridge hammocks, they come in several guises. Its not something I've ever used as the shoulder squeeze is a reported issue and my shoulders are a bit wide....

Not sure i've ever seen on of these; are ya'll talking about a hammock with spreader bars at the end? If so, they actually relieve the shoulder squeeze found in a conventional hammock. In fact that's the whole point of the spreader bars. They aren't ant flatter at all.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Of-course the alternative to trying to find one that lets you sleep on your chest is to drink a few whiskeys before you climb into yer hammock then sleeping is no problem in any position :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure i've ever seen on of these; are ya'll talking about a hammock with spreader bars at the end? If so, they actually relieve the shoulder squeeze found in a conventional hammock. In fact that's the whole point of the spreader bars. They aren't ant flatter at all.

The JRB BMBH I had had real issues with shoulder squeeze. I put it down to the fact that you were laid on top of a fairly flat surface and then your shoulders met the sides, rather than with a normal hammock where the fabric is supporting you right across your back.

The design is good but the one I had needed at least 6-8" of extra length in the spreaders, and I'm only a skinny guy so it must be worse for the bigger gents.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
jacks r better bridge hammock for me, lays flatter than usual gathered end hammocks but as its been mentioned they tend to sqeeze on the shoulders, i use a exped down mat to resolve that problem and also to insulate from the bottom.
Now thats got me thinking, it never occurred to me to use my downmat in a bridge. I see a bridge hammock project coming on, sounds perfect for hammock and ground dwelling for a winter trip.
I dislike my 9dlx in a normal hammock design, its nowhere near as comfy as any of my UQ/ hammock combinations.

@ Santaman, yes I was on about hammocks with structural spreader bars.

The JRB BMBH I had had real issues with shoulder squeeze. I put it down to the fact that you were laid on top of a fairly flat surface and then your shoulders met the sides, rather than with a normal hammock where the fabric is supporting you right across your back.

The design is good but the one I had needed at least 6-8" of extra length in the spreaders, and I'm only a skinny guy so it must be worse for the bigger gents.

It seems to me as i think about it, the width of the material of a bridge hammock must be as important as the length of the spreader bars-just like a longer hammock gives flatter lay.

@ Salad. Good solution!
Drinking good malt is a great way to make any bed comfy :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It seems to me as i think about it, the width of the material of a bridge hammock must be as important as the length of the spreader bars-just like a longer hammock gives flatter lay.

Brandons new bridge has some wider bars at the head end, not tried it yet but hope to have a go in one at Mats one day.

Bridge's are tippy at the best of times, chucking the Exped in will make it interesting :) I think Stephen uses one in his DIY bridge though

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Brandons new bridge has some wider bars at the head end, not tried it yet but hope to have a go in one at Mats one day.

Bridge's are tippy at the best of times, chucking the Exped in will make it interesting :) I think Stephen uses one in his DIY bridge though

Thats my gripe with all airmats in hammocks. I fell out 3 times in one night with the 9dlx, thankfully into deep snow :D.

Cheers for pointing that out, I'll make sure I do the first hang low down :)

I can honestly say I only ever sleep on my front in a bed, and only ever sleep on my back in my hammocks!

I use two regularly - a warbonnet blackbird and a regular gathered end - and am out on average about 5 nights a month.

The only thing I notice is that I snore when I sleep on my back and sometimes wake up with a sore throat!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE