Hammocking... without a tree???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Hey guys n' gals,

Just a quick one for you, in the local spot which we tend to visit for at least a night every week perfect set up for 3 hammocks, however, I usually go with the OH and my mate, now his OH is interested in coming down but we have a lack of trees. I was wondering if any of you have ever set up a hammock using just one tree and say an A Frame? There are 100+ hazel trees a short walk away so I was looking at possibly knocking one up out of 3 good size pieces.

Have any of you tried this? And if so can any of you point me in the direction of how best to lash the tripod together, as when I make a tripod for my kit its always hit and miss as to if it'll stand up (and I dont fancy those odds when its me hanging from a hammock on it!!!!)

Cheers All. (Oh and thanks for a cracking day at the Moot!!!)

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Nothing is wrong with the ground, however seeing as this is perm area that we have permission to use and modify, I thought we could knock something like this up and it could remain as a permenant part of the camp, it would have other uses such as a way to get our kit off the ground when its not being used for the hammock. If I had the time I'd plant a tree in the perfect location but she doen't want to wait a decade to come out with us!!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I saw a guy on one of the campsites in France we stayed at who'd used an A frame like you say but this was made from steel tubes and slotted together, staked into the ground with the biggest tent peg I've ever seen in my life.

Big guy aswell and he was still in it in the morning when I got up.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
would it be possible to get a long strong length of wood and fix this to the tree at desired height, then fix an ''A'' frame to the other end of the long part, it would have to be very strong and lashed very securely to the tree, i suppose the long length would have to be something around 12 feet and maybe 7 ft high, the tree and the long length fixed to tree would take all the tension so would have to be very strong, the ''A'' frame fixed at other end of tree would stop it collapsing sideways so legs would have to well spread apart, haven't done it myself but don't see why it shouldn't work with long enough and strong enough materials and properly lashed.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Could you fit a cross-member across or between existing trees so that you could sling hammocks side by side?

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I looked into exactly this sort of thing after moving into a flat with a garden but only 1 tree. I found the Amazonas hammock stand - Google it and you can find loads of vendors/ descriptions. Works very well, but quite heavy so only good if you have a vehicle - I have yet to try rigging the hammock with no trees and one of the stands at each end (I'm a bit scared). Usual no connection to company disclaimer and all that - just own one and thought I'd provide a pointer...

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
You could try one over the other, bunk bed style. I have seen this used in the jungle with a lack of suitable trees and to stop groups spreading out too much. It saves on the amount of tarps you need to put up.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
MVC-001F.JPG

hh_on_ground_ds.jpg

MVC-002F.JPG

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Just get yourself a garden hammock stand. There are lots of models - google. If your going to leave it there, you can get quite a sturdy one. Otherwise, f you want to take it along with you in the car, there are ones made out of metal tubes which are really easy to put up.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I think I tried all of these ;) here goes..

1. Walking poles and lye on the floor
This works ok but it is akward in the standard HH as you get from the bottom by the time you messed around you bitten to bits ;)Havent tried it yet with my zip modified hh though should be better

2. 1 Tree and an aframe made from wooden poles and a bolt
This works great the only problem is the weight, you peg out the aframe with non strech code and big pegs.. works a treat.

3. 1 tree single piece of wood ala risk
Ouch my ar*e! (it didnt work for me!!)

4. three trees 2 hammocs
Tie one end of two hammocks to one tree and then the other to 2 seperate trees

This works ok and save on one tree of course this only works if the trees are inthe right spot.

5. Buck beds
I have never tried this and will never try this have you not heard of dead fall ;) :aargh4:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE