Hammocking Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Im usually a tent user, but been wanting to give hammocking a go for a while now.
All seems a nice small pack size and light too, at 920g for the tarp/net/hammock and slings etc.

Starting to look at what i would need to buy, and think im sorted. But i just have a few questions before hand. (And perhaps after i get tangled up also :rolleyes: )

DD Superlight Hammock http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_superlight_hammock
DD Superlight 3mx2.9m tarp
DD Superlight Mosquito Net for the midges

So questions about each.

Can i use a thermarest inflatable mat inside the hammock or is the underquilt required?

I already have a 2.8mx1.5m tarp, but im guessing this would be too small to use with a hammock?

Could the midge net be rigged up below a tarp on the ground also? Im thinking ill probably carry a bivy bag incase theres no hanging spots around, and this would make it more bearable having protection from the midges.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I am in a very similar position. After talking to a few people I have placed an order through the group buy.
I ended up ordering 2 frontline hammocks and one 3×3 tarp as I already own one tarp.
Its going to be a whole new learning curve soon!

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
can i reccomend shug emery on the tube.made as a hatter but great advice.
turn up to any meet and there are people who will happily help

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have DD gear but not the lightweight kit which is quite new. The guys and girls at DD are very helpful so it is probably a good idea to give them an email or call if no one here has first hand knowledge of those items.
Rob.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hello matey, I can recommend making the switch from tenting to hammocking. I did it a while ago and only go to ground when I fancy and change!

With regards to your question about the Thermarest. Simple answer is yes you can still use it in your hammock. If you do then note that you don't need to inflate it as much as you do when ground dwelling. I recommend you watch shugemery on youtube his intro to hammocking vids are great. If you enjoy hammocking though then you will probably end up getting an underblanket as they're much more comfortable. I'd therefore suggest you get in on the group buy if you can!!

With the tarp you definitely need a bigger tarp. 3m x 3m is your best bet and I pitch mine in a diamond formation. The thing to remember is that you also need to cover some of your hammock suspension. Enjoy!

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Just back from watching some of Shugemerys videos,as adestu posted earlier. Good stuff. He is just a bit mad, but its in the good way :rolleyes:

Will be giving it a go with the thermarest first to see. Mainly because im intending this for a hiking/biking setup so less weight is better, and id be carrying the thermarest for potential bivying on the ground anyway.
I see now from other vids/forums that a bigger tarp is a must.

Not sure how the midge net will perform on the ground, but i think it might be workable. Not a deal breaker either way, just a potential benefit.

Might skip out on the group buy so i get it before everything sells out :lmao:

Last edited:

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Bought it sunday and arrived Tuesday, Good service from DD.

Getting my stuff ready for the first test this weekend and i came across my reflective blanket thing. http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html
Clothy material and heat reflective on one side.

I usually carry it as an extra layer in the sleeping bag or over it, so might give it a try hung underneath as a underquilt to see how much diffrence it makes.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Umm, my advice... eventually you'll probably want to upgrade yer DD Hammock for a Hammock that gives you an asymmetrical lay (diagonal). Far more superior comfort in a hammock with an asymmetrical Laying position.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I wanted to upgrade my hammock to a DD superlight one, but I decided not to after looking at the specs.
I am over the 100kg listed and that is without boots/kit (nice to use a hammock to sit around in). Also I'm 6'4ish, I've heard.. the max height in the specs (6'5) is for sleeping like a banana (straight), not diagonally which a lot of people would want to do. But that is just from what I have read and heard when looking into it, would be interested to hear from someone who has given it a go.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'm (slightly less so now) a fat bugger. Weigh a lot more than you at 6'1" and never had any issues in a DD camping hammock. I did replace my factory lines with Dyneema dingy braid but this was only to make smaller loops with longer tree huggers.

All good, even when the kids joined me for a morning cuddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
The normal DD hammock range are rated at 125kg, I'm within that limit, even with kit. :) I have the front line and there has been no issues

Its only the superlight range which are rated at 100kg. The DD stuff is good and I would most likely be OK, but I like to be within the specs just to be sure.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Had to cancel my original plans for this weekend, but decided to go somewhere local for the night to give the hammock a test. Thought id take the dog.
In hindsight, taking the dog,Springer Spaniel, for its first overnighter and both first time hammock users was perhaps a tad ambitious.

Dog couldnt quite get the hang of it. We started swinging, only for her to try and lean the opposite way each time, making us more unstable. She eventually leapt for safety which tipped the balance and over i went, hitting the ground shoulder first. :lmao:

It was fairly comfy, although i always felt i was lying in it a bit onesided. Had to head home as the dog wasnt enjoying it at all, but im looking forward to next weekend, hopefully get a few nights in.

One question, and im gonna look like a fool, but i could not figure out at all how the plastic guy line bits that come with the superlight tarp work. If i even knew the name so i could google it :eek:
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/pegs-guy-lines?from_cat=34

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Oh i know that part. My bivy tent has them also. I couldnt work them out either :lmao:

They just seem to slip no matter which way they're pulled on. I must just be missing something obvious, but im stumped

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/pegs-guy-lines?from_cat=34[/URL]

Be they plastic or metal (in my experience) tension is the key, although some cordage is more prone to slippage than others.
The following pics are from my recently purchased DD multi cam tarp so the cordage and widgets (I can never remember what they are called either;) ) are likely the same as those on your L/W system.
My connection to the tarp uses a bowline knot as I know it won't slip.

axy7dWd1AtvajYSNQ_6Zohy5SC_dzukbTra40RTR0PAN0wDXVqLjAJsF3J0BWZYLCIM0P4lfZePJ3ACO5XAq_BcUXHT_VZkvqo__7J5DW-CLZFCnNlQnNBhdumPMNJqT9W7M3tht-Sljsszt4w47_BmWREuuipOI1Abu4Y4UUGFsDwngiYhkp554mwQ4PtJKA4D0MawVlm1b85bb7DPYN50UQ3IuNqP5VNoXSy3p3mh4M2S8oonrYNpbX4HRrgoxbnG1KIgFJ3o2L1WMzffNlvuE5lqFZFjJPXiiylfkXIHSrALWqF04iNx9F1wEvr8B9r8yJYEPAdqeTHzUy2w3TtwO7eSh73az6LMVLEYx_mx9fEATwxOpTxd7Q-ipNY7_9fOVjciD00gJfySNaH7hE1o4Lfcg-tZNx8EAFI25mnyvmrE_M0pqMvo5sZO_831S-fNE4HNLOC_FTdmQDqg2xB1zJg1k1O8prSAVGyZvIW4TaDRA7hp8Fq4wOkq_TQTTgUZj7n2IDhebRXy09IuxvjvRhvXDSegadHnC2vQuFVgueSjUkuaG9J282MP3U1nqOvwc=w653-h614-no

This pic shows the widget underside, so the two lines at the bottom of the pic go around your peg

8u7PD1BCmhqq6C21FmJyCdSE9dSldqBTVkZUzEa29LJXiyMvTxjslL_RGWTR-sh3Pc0fG5WqCsR8eO6wH8Z6JYCnrZo9JXATtxtRulg8JS6zRd7OBtCYNKKtm4z9JRAQeYWuVaguAnwwEwDFkZDSMaRHBo7MVsWTebKZT-AAo7Mv3DqvEzk6P6KdKOhCyMv1m6nduEUCI7m7EjPMzu9xj3IHx1nMrri1uq7Zpis_kKkoxLioYId0uhfXGqEWoABQaHQ1LD-uZCddW5UAa9Cx6zL97KKW5wuYXMRhCllPg08HZnCh2DkqKdj7qpIHGHxypSo44q7ZCvqQYVfligSzapzd6AaWhj6qV3WkmYX9u6oG0bOmkJ7md7Kn4T34rbgViyg8s4baY3YRo5BYSx6uVTx47hWJeIjuJtx4e-u5N7ZgWgKnMtdlFoRjWrZ9dVkD6dby3jzoTEuXG6W3JnK1pn-Qb8gYlNPbtekHgKmzL8tL8rlb-CQ0P6bIsG6ezsbalcviT3pGOIFF5d6bAG_vVHOMAIKPecifT4RxuFBlfyQS2J6xnxot3nP5gkc1Gi8G6BAp=w502-h568-no

This one is the opposite side with the two lines at the bottom of the pic that go around your peg

D1vNuoJOqQ3brEVKe_Vm9UleX0k7yWa3mVE9D61Sx7_Vn8le50aHWrVISjgbfefKWNPRdHq_uFOF3rMYIU6_nSuOCc0QwhTNZigX9HQH-fhtxZA6I7qkX6evCzzlQ7-J30vSZj5iMT4nbkNNeiDKOF4nVcP_bJmonSCwZ0TJoUhXYx2TJc5_sXkoqi9gzenVzTLU6QUPNvX62nR_NCn1cniLV4otlf6JV9BTYw7s0Jp7kzybBFGQfojUn3d7HDmFM_AzttK33JbMt7TvJcoxVwPMQnPaadoxgzYUngWM-8XRBAuiLZLzafI1QJ5tfFBhVOeoOmBABC_3KpO_WsgHnhER_44UlwyVCCHSoduKbs-xCP9NQLkSb87EvFA_D_TNswgKbsaQ-uyAgaiixeYWpuO3b8zlOxYvbdkQfIPx3d7MhlVEvlrTFNNzgrXMZh0ksDTO0C0KX7r_TVmPdnCwUrYpgd4y3Vmlp7_WyS4b-qq3kcGvoBuyQMpMm7jIHPsw5sGAnIwfEtYXngBZt66VVaGmXs_4bW5fjGNgSytG2aW5NtdQI3pYpgumvYQTWRoir4mK=w451-h527-no

This last pic shows that it needs to be tight, hold the part of the line that is under the part that terminates on the widget and slide the widget up until nicely taught.

xZN4Qe96qtjfx-plyVjdKvUuS9vzYf6SDz-iElGTxD2Vkma_7tvjODCD3DYWsUNyarGh8SsX6KsXwKATlybESTJFFbleQOGs8cYdsbjgvLlizobgiYR8FIht5Dm1V2cdaYM5Q2gK4sJfx3PGtBvXg4MwlTzzxTQ1y6B0XYOh1v5WF7Ul73kvFAkW72FX85ZcuEafeNkwmEGXH2TLQ5MTwP-bxhj_UoXF8HB9ZatR6uIqTQnIIApH-Gu4AKa6q-iQCNB6eeAwTtt4M_2YVZwXTHHZBzbt_pv_R4DOmdXW_kF_JXs0QTmTdgiJHfDMgVwoyXK42fSQ-eV_hBpI01I1tRYb4KRARHQMkAyriOCmgIs9iotKCbquQXlqvsFCW2p8ioiY3eQUkOdJVCUq0V4_t7ahxdR6JzXLjnCgX10cG9c12Vnaql6QwhEpLsT8jRnPCXw8leB26K3S_SaPyoOBz6NAFG77TxIEQG3gHFRWsvDQAHRGLCN8DaDlN8aQMMapRtHD_quTguFdIR2q-P6Wnd-WikaEqaO2oH2b3QDKrmFQgxd4o4vuMFUR3KYrT5Ow10Qd=w816-h222-no

This method uses a leverage force on the cordage to create a friction grip between widget and cord to hold fast.

Hope this helps, off to get the tarp in before the weather changes and I need to dry it off in the bathroom again:D

Rob.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Hmm, im sure ive tried that way, but will need to give it another go. I always just gave up and tied tautline hitches instead. Thank you for the demonstration :)

Been watching some videos this morning, and i think i always felt onesided in the hammock because i wasnt lying at a big enough diaganol. I was still fairly straight when i see how its done properly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE