Hammock Underblankets DIY?

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'm a recent hammock convert, but see the benefit of an underblanket over a slip-sliding thermarest. They are flipping expensive though (even the group-buy ones), so I thought of making one.

I thought of opening out a cheap 3-season sleeping bag and adding elastic loops. Since it's only really your 'core' that needs the extra insulation, I was going to chop off the leg section to save weight.

Has anyone tried this?
Any thoughts before I risk wasting my time?

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
check out www.kickassquilts.com
Patrick is a really great guy, also a member, and will offer any help with DIY that he can. All instructions are on the site. You could easily turn an old sleeping bag into an underquilt. That's how KAQ started.
Theres also www.hammockforums.net which has a DIY forum. Very friendy guys.
Also check out www.imrisk.com under "warmhammock" which is a hammock with built in underquilt. I have also made my own, see my gallery.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
That's great thanks. I think I must be incapable of using the search function properly!

Kickass is a great site, exactly the ticket. With second hand bags on ebay for £10 and his instructions I think I'm away.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I will probably miss the point but what about a US poncho liner? These are cheap, isolate well and can be easily used by laying on them in the hammock or can be easily modified to be hung/attached under the hammock.

I will probably miss the point but what about a US poncho liner? These are cheap, isolate well and can be easily used by laying on them in the hammock or can be easily modified to be hung/attached under the hammock.

. They are not cheap- £20-30
. They are absolutley total crap for that price but they look cool :D
. They are not nearly insulative enough for any kind of hammock use either in or under

The best homemade option that I have come up with is fibre pile material that i placed inside the hammock, it worked really good esp with a therma rest too!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have one partly made from a double duvet, along the same lines as my Ogripod (try a search on that). If you chop a piece off one side and sew it onto the end, it matches the dimensions for most underquilts on the web. Next steps will be to add a cover (so its not white) and some tunnels/loops for the cords and it'll be ready for trials.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Right, I'm thinking of making my own underblanket (a cunning design which allows for the Tog rating to be changed ;) ). Anyway the guy who sits next to me at work is an ex-sniper and he says that a bivi bag would be a better bet in a hammock rather than an underblanket (packs smallerm wind-proof, water-proof, multi functional, etc, etc).

So what are your thoughts? Would it? Or shall I carry on mating a single duvet with a Nikwaxed bed sheet and shock cords? (oops, told you my plans now!)

Chris

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
My bivvi bag doesn't offer that much insulation.

I made an underblanket from a 2nd hand Snugpak softie 9 with an extra layer of silnylon on the outside. It's windproof and warm. I think pack-size will always be a trade-off for warmth, so I'd stick with your plans for th warmest option, but consider a windproof outer layer.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Right, I'm thinking of making my own underblanket (a cunning design which allows for the Tog rating to be changed ;) ). Anyway the guy who sits next to me at work is an ex-sniper and he says that a bivi bag would be a better bet in a hammock rather than an underblanket (packs smallerm wind-proof, water-proof, multi functional, etc, etc).

So what are your thoughts? Would it? Or shall I carry on mating a single duvet with a Nikwaxed bed sheet and shock cords? (oops, told you my plans now!)

Chris

Chris,
I'm eagerly awaiting your tog adjustable design - really looking forward to seeing/discussing your ideas.
As to your workmate - I've no doubt that in his experience he had to "endure" rather than "enjoy" his hammock camping trips. A bivy bag inside a hammock would be IMHO, nothing short of uncomfortable. Outside, it would be little more than an inadequate Garlington Insulator.
Shep is right, you'll always have to trade size and weight for effective insulation unless you go the very expensive "All Down" route. My Ogripod is collosal - probably the size of a full 120 liter bergan! But it works brilliantly, it was too warm back in febuary's west Wales meet. My latest idea, if I can find one cheap enough is to cannibalise a feather and down duvet as they seem to pack smaller than man-made-filling jobs.
I'm also guessing that you're using the "Nikwaxed bed sheet" as a windproof outer layer - have a look at the "Hammock Sock" ideas on some of the american hammock webforums.

ATB

Ogri the trog

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
My first underblanket was a poncho liner tied to an old poncho and fitted under the hammock.
I got the idea from this:
http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIversion2.htm
3009.07007.jpg

3009.07018.jpg

239.07009.jpg

So all one needs is a square piece of nylon with loops at the corners and a tunnel at each short side.
Then you take whatever sleeping bag is lying around and sort of fix it (removable) to the long sides
Or you take two leightweight and cheap hammocks and fit them close to each other and throw whatever is insulating inside the loweer one:
99.07020.jpg

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Ogri, here's the plan; (you may want a pen and paper to sketch this as you read)

Part 1:
1) 1x single duvet (circa 1350mm x 2000mm) trimmed down to 1000mm x 2000mm.
2) Lie it out flat on the floor and measure along one short side from the corner marking it with a pen at 200mm, 300mm, 700mm, & 800mm.
3) Do the same at the opposite end of the duvet.
4) Measure along one long side from the corner marking it with a pen at 400mm, 600mm, 1400mm & 1600mm.
5) Do the same on the opposite side.
6) You should now have duvet with markings on all four sides.
7) Using a pen and straight edge do a "dot-to-dot" job between these points;
i) Short side 300mm mark to adjacent long side 400mm mark.
ii) Short side 200mm mark to adjacent long side 600mm mark.
8) Now cut along these lines, chopping the corner of the duvet off.
9) Ok, so you've roughly rounded off the corner of the duvet. Now do the same for the other corners. Using a sewing machine you will need to seal the cut edges.

Part2:
1) 1x 2250mm x 2250mm square of tight woven cotton.
2) Lie it out flat, then find the mid point on the top and bottom edge and measure 550mm to the left and right away from these points, marking the points with a pen.
3) Now fold the sheet between these marked points, giving you an overlapping “envelope”.
4) Using a sewing machine, sew a seam 25mm in from, and parallel to the folds top to bottom.
5) Again using the sewing machine, hem the two short ends (about 10-15mm should do it), then fold these in on themselves (effectively reducing the sheets length) and sew this at the edge effectively making a tube with sealed ends. Repeat for the other end.
6) Cut one of the sealed ends of each tube (at the corner of the sheet), and shove 1050mm of shock cord up the tube. You’ll need to force it though the stitching of the first (lengthwise) set of tubes you made. Again repeat for the other end.
7) Using the sewing machine, sew over the end of the shock cord (only the last 10-15mm) at the sealed end of the short length tube so that it can’t come out again.
8) Now add one of those plastic spring toggle things on the loose end of each shock cord.
9) Ok, so now turn the whole thing over so you are looking at the other (back) side of the cloth.
10) Now to fit the shock cords to the long sides of the envelope.
11) Cut a small hole at each end of the original cloth tubes (long lengths), just inward of the width wise tube seam, and push a 2500mm length of shock cord right through the tube and out through a corresponding hole at the other end of the tube.
12) Repeat for the other side and attach more of those plastic spring toggle things on the loose end of each shock cord.

All that’s left to do now is dye the cloth of you want to, then waterproof it with Nickwax. When it’s dry, fit the trimmed duvet into the envelope and hang it under your hammock. My only concerns are that a bed sheet may not have a tight enough weave, so you may want to use artists painting canvas, or something similar.

If you want to change the tog rating, fettle a different duvet to shape. Simple!

Chris

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Chris,
sounds like its all planned out, I can't see why it shouldn't work. From experience, sewing through several layers of fresh cut duvet can get a bit ummm, exciting, good luck with it, I hope you'll post some photos.
My idea with the feather duvet is to use a double size, as the diagonal measurement is almost exactly the same length as the group buy hammocks. I'll choose which opposite corners will be on the sides (and hence surplus to requirements) unpick the stitching without actually opening the case - this should then allow me to shake the feathers into adjacent compartments before cutting off the spare material. Cunning eh! then after trimming to shape, I'll do the same tunnel sewing as you and hopefully have a smaller pack size underblanket than I have at the moment.

ATB

Ogri the trog

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
there is actually therma mats that are only up yo yout shoulder to your knees height for sale, idea is you use your bergen as a pillow and your core is protected so your legs are not cold ( haha )

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Commandocal has a point. If your main aim is to remove the cold-spots under you and you're happy to use a sleeping bag on top, your underblanket doesn't need to be so big.

I've used a 3/4 thermarest for ages so made my underblanket 3/4 length. It's enough to insulate the bits of me that compress the loft of the sleeping bag. ie. shoulders and **** (or 'core' as commandocal more politely puts it).

It saves a lot of bulk/weight and would especially if you're not using 'lightweight' materials in the first place. Your plan sounds great, just thought this was worth suggesting.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE