Hammock underblanket --- Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
weekender said:
Also a question for magikelly in your photos it looks like you have some of the cord from the blanket going over your ridgeline, but in the other photos posted the attatchment lines are all going towards the hammock tie off point is this just an idea you tried and did it work and do you think it would wear the bug net on an HH hammock. sorry if that seems like a long winded question. :thanks:

I tied the two end cords over the ridge line to give a better "fit" but as described in my posting above tabs on the corners could be used to good effect.

I do not think these cords would wear out the insect netting, certainly not any quicker than the ridge line will.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Hi everybody,
Have heard back from MD at Snugpack. Unfortunatly Works Manager is off this week and then firm is on shutdown for two weeks, So I can't get an updated price just yet. Can't see the modifications being any problem and hopefully price increase won;t be too great. If anyone is interested in prototype at original price let me know.
Ian.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I'll take a prototype if one is available - my hammock is a good bit shorter than the group buy ones, so I'm not too worried about the length. TBH, I'm still planning on making my own down underblanket, but I want one to play with to help inform my plans.

You already have my payment and address. :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I took the Underblanket to the Moot to try it out. Here are my thoughts....

packing the Underblanket
It compresses into a small bundle about half again the size of the group buy hammock so it does not take up too much pack space.

setting up
The Underblanket sets up quickly. the two inner shock cords at each end were clipped into the karabiners at each end of my hammock and the outer cords looped over the ridge line above my hammock I hang my kit from (although they could be clipped into the end karabiners).
The side shock cords can be adjusted to make the Underblanket hug the body more closely. Setup takes seconds.

The Underblanket in use
Upon getting into the hammock, the first thing I noticed was warmth. It's windproof and insulating. After a minute in the hammock I moved the Underblanket away from underneath me and the difference was significant.
There have been some concerns about the size of the Underblanket but I'm 6' tall and XXL ;) and found that the Underblanket came to below my heels and above my head and wrapped around my shoulders. Some increase in length/width may be necessary for some users but for most the size will be fine.
Although the Moot was not particularly cold, I found the Underblanket to be warm and comfortable. It made the whole sleeping in a hammock experience simpler with no sleeping mat to arrange or pop out from under me. On one night I tried just using my sleeping bag as a quilt with just the Underblanket as my under body insulation. it was one of the most comfortable nights sleep I've had in a hammock with no hint of being cold.

Packing up the Underblanket
Taking the Underblanket down is as simple as setting up. Just unclip and pack. Easy.

My conclusions
It's a great piece of kit and well worth the price. easy to use and live with.
I'll be loathe to give the prototype back, and will be waiting impatiently for my production one.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Nice review Graham.

As expected I didn't get a real good look at the prototype, kept wandering past your rig thinking must pop down and have a look then getting caught up with something else.

As you only had one arm to setup your rig - it must have been quite straight forward :)

Moduser

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
OK, having seen it at the Moot and pending the mods highlighted by Magikelly, I'll have one please. PM me quick and I'll pay up now - I'm off on hols for two weeks tonight!

Regards,

Rich.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
After reading Grahams review I have just sent another email to Snugpak asking about the possibility of 2 sizes of hammock.
Heres hoping the bosses go in to check emails while rest are on holiday.
Ian.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
After having a go of the underblanket when Magickelly had it i'd prefer it if it was a bit longer. Mind you, I am 6'5 so not exactly average. Going to be a great piece of kit though and my cheque will be in the post the minute we get the longer size price.

Regards
James

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well as promised, here's the latest. Large size is £55.34 inc vat and p&p, the standard size is still £49.39 inc vat and p&p.
Will the people who have already paid please PM me to let me know if you still want standard one or want to upgrade to large size.
Hopefully there will be no more holdups so as soon as I have 30 paid up orders I will place the order with Snugpak.
Ian.

Edit.
So far I have 16 orders.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Ian do you know how much larger the large one is?

wanderinstar said:
Well as promised, here's the latest. Large size is £55.34 inc vat and p&p, the standard size is still £49.39 inc vat and p&p.
Will the people who have already paid please PM me to let me know if you still want standard one or want to upgrade to large size.
Hopefully there will be no more holdups so as soon as I have 30 paid up orders I will place the order with Snugpak.
Ian.

Edit.
So far I have 16 orders.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE