Hammock under blanket/quilt, are they any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use this method.

This is a lot of work for me and with my bad back and dodgy knees just about impossible. It does work well tho. I clean the detergent draw of all soap residue. Flush the machine through with the hottest wash to get any residue out. Then on a short cool wash (follow instructions on bottle) wash the bag. Hang outside for a few hours on the line on a hot day. Then it goes into dryer with tennis balls as per video. Then a further shake and hang untill bone dry. . Hey presto. Done and dusted.

Reactions: Toddy

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Thanks for all the advice and knowledge folks,
I will be getting one but as to what make and wether synthetic or down I don't know yet. See what funds allow in the new year

Reactions: Janne

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
As other have said, using an UQ and hammock system can be very bulky, I use a DD Frontline and Snugpak UQ. I find it's not really the weight that's an issue (as all of my other kit is ultralight) but the bulk, once you've got sleeping bag (even a good UL one) Hammock, Tarp and UQ and cook system, you've barely got any room for Food/clothes for a long trip. I managed a week canoeing in Sweden this year with my full set up and a 60ltr rucksack but it was pushing it, also, the food for the week was in a barrel in the canoe. If I had to carry it, there would be no chance.

We walked Hadrian's wall a couple of years ago and I had to give up hammocking as there was no way I'd have enough room for it, and I wasn't willing to get a bigger bag. Managed to get my total bag weight (inc food/water) to 13.4kg which I think is pretty good.

Anyway I digress, ultimately you've got to weigh up is the extra "bulk" worth it for the comfort, and for me it is. If you come to love hammocking you'll never look back. If you're just starting out with the UQ scene I'd definitely recommend the Snugpak synthetic UQ - they're 50 quid off amazon and as most people have said are plenty warm enough for almost all the british weather can throw at you. (assuming your sleeping bag is also up to the task). If, like me, you do most of your trips in the UK I didn't want the hassle of worrying about whether or not it's going to rain (because lets face it...it probably will!). If it gets wet your down UQ will be next to useless, at least a synthetic one still retains a lot of it's warmth. It's cheaper. And the synthetic bags are getting that good now that they are not THAT much bigger than the down ones (so to me the only benefit left is the weight saving, which to be honest. isn't enough for me to justify the extra £150+ it would cost to upgrade to a down bag) just my 2 cents worth

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I slept on the ground for years but due to a back injury I can't ground dwell anymore. Switched full time to hammock about a 4 years ago but not done much winter camping. Hence the enquiry because if my back gets cold I'm useless the next day.
I know THAT feeling. Hammock every time. I also have a swinging seat wherever I venture lol

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
As other have said, using an UQ and hammock system can be very bulky, I use a DD Frontline and Snugpak UQ. I find it's not really the weight that's an issue (as all of my other kit is ultralight) but the bulk, once you've got sleeping bag (even a good UL one) Hammock, Tarp and UQ and cook system, you've barely got any room for Food/clothes for a long trip. I managed a week canoeing in Sweden this year with my full set up and a 60ltr rucksack but it was pushing it, also, the food for the week was in a barrel in the canoe. If I had to carry it, there would be no chance.

We walked Hadrian's wall a couple of years ago and I had to give up hammocking as there was no way I'd have enough room for it, and I wasn't willing to get a bigger bag. Managed to get my total bag weight (inc food/water) to 13.4kg which I think is pretty good.

Anyway I digress, ultimately you've got to weigh up is the extra "bulk" worth it for the comfort, and for me it is. If you come to love hammocking you'll never look back. If you're just starting out with the UQ scene I'd definitely recommend the Snugpak synthetic UQ - they're 50 quid off amazon and as most people have said are plenty warm enough for almost all the british weather can throw at you. (assuming your sleeping bag is also up to the task). If, like me, you do most of your trips in the UK I didn't want the hassle of worrying about whether or not it's going to rain (because lets face it...it probably will!). If it gets wet your down UQ will be next to useless, at least a synthetic one still retains a lot of it's warmth. It's cheaper. And the synthetic bags are getting that good now that they are not THAT much bigger than the down ones (so to me the only benefit left is the weight saving, which to be honest. isn't enough for me to justify the extra £150+ it would cost to upgrade to a down bag) just my 2 cents worth

Yup, spot on, got my 100 ltr rucksack to 13kg sharp, without food, water and spare clothes

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Yup, spot on, got my 100 ltr rucksack to 13kg sharp, without food, water and spare clothes

Wow you must have some very light bulky stuff to fill 100 ltr! haha. Oh in that case my 13.4kg with food, water and clothes is pretty damn good then! You really do miss the "finer things" when you're going that stupidly lightweight though. I mean I was dehydrating my food and everything prior to going. Sometimes a little extra weight is worth it! a mini mesh coffee filter for "proper filter coffee is one of my few guilty pleasures that even when I'm long distance hiking it will still come! completely unnecessary... but I don't care!

Reactions: Sundowner

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
ahhh that's where I'm going wrong! the single malt can act as a fire "aid" in an emergency situation...we do get told to always take multi use items? doesn't that make it a necessity!?

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
ahhh that's where I'm going wrong! the single malt can act as a fire "aid" in an emergency situation...we do get told to always take multi use items? doesn't that make it a necessity!?
We should DISCUSS this at great length at an overnighter, COMPARING the weights of 1l of your single malt with a 1l single malt out of my cupboard ;)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The best synthetic fillings are round about at the level of 600 cuin Fillpower down.

Only 800 or 900 cuin fill power down bags are currently an interesting option for short tours and dry conditions: Sahara or surely under 5*C.

If I would plan to discover the british rain forest I surely wouldn't take down equipment with me.
That's nice for northern Scandinavia or Switzerland in the winter, but not recommended for winter in Britain, France or most parts of Germany.

Snugpack fillings are on a very high level.

If I compare my Special Forces 1 Sleeping bag with a regarding the temperatures equal rated normal priced down bag I can't see so many differences in weight and packing size.

Its more or less equal with a "cheaper" down sleeping bag. But the Snugpack costs half the price!

Yes, if you invest 800€ or 1000€ in a down sleeping bag, than you can see the difference to the packing size and weight of SF1 and SF2 in addition. For -20*C down is an expensive but interesting option.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can make your own from a cheap sleeping bag quite easily. I've got an expensive 3/4 length down one but it's not better aside from being a lot lighter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE