Hammock & the cold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I've been down to -6°C with a standard DD hammock and homemade goosedown top and underquilt. I've designed them to be good down to an estimated -12°C but this remains untested. The only problem I encountered was a cold nose but that was easily fixed. I think the only think I'd change for colder temperatures is maybe a hammock sock to reduce airflow around you.

The airmat should help a little and the usual closed-cell foam mats can be quite effective.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Been down to 0 so far. Going to try going trying below in the upcoming snow, but with caution as my bag is only rated to 0 degrees. Going to have made my hammock sock by then, also, so that should help with the inner temperature and windchill, and I plan on bringing along a blanket and a ccf mat to suppliment my UQ.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
13 degrees the wrong side of freezing is my coldest. I used a 4 season bag and 5 summer roll mats in my DD-toasty all night. I'm sure I could have gone much colder with no problem.

Call me mad, but I want to go colder. Its kind of fun in a sado-masochistic way.

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
This was my set up last weekend at brockwell wood (the second one in the clip) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPRPvs_dNUI
When i woke up on sunday morning there was ice everywhere so the temp must have got down low!
I made the underquilt last week out of a £10 sleeping bag and i also used a £15 tesco inflatable roll matt.

Snug as a bug in a rug!:p

Thanks for the replies, the reason i am asking is im on a course this weekend in aberdeenshire and been told it gets very very cold, -21 last year at this time! But there are other options available so just wanted to see how cold a hammock can stand. Although the weather report suggests down to 0, so may not be too bad.

Looking at using a DD Hammock, Army sleeping bag, SnugPak UB, alpkit airmat inbetween the DD sheets and a dutch army blanket inside the bag with me if needed. Plus all the clothes I have on.

Lol, last time I tried sleeping out in cold weather was a mistake, used a netted hammock, sleeping bag and bivi......not the best of nights I can assure you. :p This was when I was just learning.

So is there any advantages of sleeping in a hammock in the cold rather than dwelling on the ground? is are you raised out of the cold air that lays around the ground, but then in a hammock are you more affected by wind?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Depending on which army doss bag you've got I reckon you'll be fine this weekend with just the underblanket. I've done -9 no problem with my Snugpak UB and a Snugpak Elite 4. If you're not far from the car then chuck the mat and blanket in as well but I doubt you'll need them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE