hammock tarp suspension

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi,
Having just bought a wb black bird with adjustable webbing suspension and also having a modded tenth wonder with whoopy slings...what type of suspension do people use? I'm looking for ideas for the best suspension to for-fill the following criteria:-
1 light weight
2 ease of setup
3 adustable

has anyone gone the tarp/hammock all in one setup route ie tarp and hammock on same suspension...and how does this affect the tarp [drop] tension?

Thanks you for replies in advance
Regards
Stu

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For me, its whoopie slings all the way.

I use 1"tree straps with Dutch clips and dutch buckles for the whoopie-strap union. Its extra weight but not more than 2 oz and it makes life sooooo easy.

My tarp has a Dutch Flyz on one end of the continuous ridgeline and a hook on the other. All this gives a no knot system, dead easy adjustability and removes the problem of having tree straps that are too long.

My thoughts on SLS's- I would really miss the flexibilty of seperate tarp and hammock. If its good weather or not much wind, I like the tarp above head height to avoid the back pain I get when I'm stooped down all the time. It also makes the view better :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I switched out the webbing on my BB for whoopies, it's less than half the weight and bulk and only takes five minutes to do.

I use the same strap system as Pete, the Buckles and Clips just work so well, I could ditch them both and just use the webbing loop and a marlin spike toggle but it's just so easy to use. Again I use the same tarp rig too, being able to move the tarp just where you need it is far better than untying a retying knots.

The only experience I've had of single suspension for both hammy and tarp is with my old Hennessy, it worked okay but ou were limited to how much room you could give yourself. Somebody on here experimented with a similar idea not so long ago, it might have been Spandit but I'm not sure. He used various lengths of amsteel I think to create a clever system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE