Hammock Rigging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 4, 2009
south wales
Where did you get the GB hammock, Nomads land

How do they compare to the DD hammocks?

Looking to buy my first hammock - I do like the look of the Nomad land one? but cant decide between the DD camping hammock

cheers

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Where did you get the GB hammock, Nomads land

How do they compare to the DD hammocks?

Looking to buy my first hammock - I do like the look of the Nomad land one? but cant decide between the DD camping hammock

cheers

You get them from here. Your lucky it looks like magikelly's doing another one at the moment. The one I got from him is still going strong.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
That looks nice, where did you get the tubular webbing?

I also use a Magikelly hammock and agree that they are excellent. My current rig involves car luggage ratchet straps which are OK to put up and use but a pain to get down quickly. Your looks so much nicer that I might well give it a go.:You_Rock_

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
[*]The webbing used is 25mm flat webbing with a breaking strain of 1.2 tonnes;

well actual tying knots in rope/webbing or useing a girth hitch reduces the strength but roughly 40%:D not that youl need the extra strength lol

if it was me i would forget the carabiners and just tie timber hitches at each end.

pete

well actual tying knots in rope/webbing or useing a girth hitch reduces the strength but roughly 40%:D not that youl need the extra strength lol

if it was me i would forget the carabiners and just tie timber hitches at each end.

pete

Pete

I'm sure you're right about tying knots reducing the breaking strain, I was purely quoting the spec. of the webbing used to give people the confidence it was man enough. Personally I've tested it with me and my 5 year old in it, which means I've probably tested it to a load of around 20 stone (my son's very lean - I'm not).

I'm not sure I follow you with the comment about ditching the 'biners, as they're used for 'quick attachment / release' at the hammock - not sure what you mean about using timber hitches?

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Peter_t

Regardless of whatever other components you have in your suspension system, if the hammock is going to be used for overnighters then you are best off to leave some metalwork near the ends of the hammock, be it 'biners or hooks or whatever. They serve to help prevent water from tracking down to the hammock from further up the suspension system.

Another little trick is to tie some pieces of cord around each side of each 'biner (just some shoelace or other absorbent cord will do). Leave about an inch or so hanging down to act as the 'lowest point' and any water that does make its way onto the 'biner will drip down this instead of into the hammock.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Bushscout1

I don't mean to be 'teaching you to suck eggs' or anything, and I appreciate that you may well have just quickly slung your hammock for the sake of taking photos, without doing any of your normal adjustments, but since this forum is about chatting and helping other members, I'll share my thoughts just in case: Your hammock looks very 'flat' or 'streched out'. You may want to experiment with hanging it with the ends closer together so that it forms more of a 'U shape'. That way it's easier to position yourself on the diagonal of the hammock. This lends itself to a flatter platform, without getting squeezed in on the sides. This sounds like a contradiction, I know - slinging you hammock less 'flat' in order to achieve a 'flatter' hang - but it works and most people find this to be more comfortable when in a hammock for longer periods, (eg overnight). Of course this is just a subjective comment and you may well prefer your hammock slung the way it is in the photo.

Either way, happy hanging!

Dec 16, 2007
One thing that has been making me fink is that most people worry about damage to trees from what is used to hang your hammock.
DD have a tape style rope and HH have tree slappers which is a flat type of webbing.
Now if your just hanging it for a few days and only sleeping in it over night how much damage could just normal rope do to the tree. Plus what about all the ridge lines that are pulled tight around trees on our bashas are they not doing damage? would not just put a bit of cloth like a t shirt between the rope and bark help?

I can't sleep till I know.

Your hammock looks very 'flat' or 'streched out'.

Aussiepom

Thanks for your comments, I am aware of the benefits of sleeping diagonally in a hammock as I also own a Hennessey.

The photos were taken when I had just 'thrown' it together quickly, although I do tend to have it tighter than some in order to counteract the effects of my weight (otherwise I end up sitting on the floor). :rolleyes:

Cheers for you comments, I'm sure many others will find them helpful.

One thing that has been making me fink is that most people worry about damage to trees from what is used to hang your hammock.
DD have a tape style rope and HH have tree slappers which is a flat type of webbing.
Now if your just hanging it for a few days and only sleeping in it over night how much damage could just normal rope do to the tree. Plus what about all the ridge lines that are pulled tight around trees on our bashas are they not doing damage? would not just put a bit of cloth like a t shirt between the rope and bark help?

Swampy

The damage is done if whatever is wrapped around the tree cuts into / damages the bark. This would happen as soon as a significant weight is applied to a cord which is too thin to adequately spread the load. Hence if thin cordage is used, the damage would likely occur soon after you climb into your hammock.

Whilst I use much thinner cordage (5mm genuine parachute cord) for the ridgeline for my tarp, the weight of the tarp is a fraction of the load applied by my hammock (when I'm in it).

In my opinion, I'm not sure that simply using a piece of cloth between the cord and the bark would help much as it isn't spreading the load in the way that using webbing / a tree hugger (also webbing) does.

I hope that answers your query.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE