Hammock questions

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I know this is old hat to most folk on here but i really need some clarity before i take the plunge and become a tree dweller.

First off, which hammock ? ie quality and price etc

How easy are they to put up ?

How comfortable are they, bearing in mind i can't sleep on my back as i have to sleep on my side?

Are they warm enough without the underblanket ?

Will a full length self inflating mat fit in one ?

Does anyone know if they do a 'factory seconds' one or has anybody got two but only needs one and would be willing to sell it to me at a rock bottom price as i am a tightar$e ?

Can anyone else think of anything i've forgotten to ask ? :D

cheers

Andy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
First off, which hammock ? ie quality and price etc

oh oh, you're going to get 100s of responses, everyone has an opinion. I would search the forums thoroughly. but I like DDhammocks

How easy are they to put up ?

If you can tie your shoelaces you can put up a DD hammock

How comfortable are they, bearing in mind i can't sleep on my back as i have to sleep on my side?

I find them very comfy but I can sleep on my back. I know some people can sleep diagonally across them on their sides or curled up.

Are they warm enough without the underblanket ?

Depends on the weather ;) and your sleeping back, they're OK with a mat underneath.

Will a full length self inflating mat fit in one ?

depends on the hammock, the DD has an extra layer to put the kip mat in there.

hope this helps,

Alan

PS no link with DD, just like 'em

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow

No problem, I usually go fetal on my side during the night. Could probably get away with a half length hammock. :)
They're so comfy that waking up is my biggest problem with them. Sometimes I just don't. :rolleyes:

Dec 16, 2007
I have both a Hennessey hammock and a DDhammock plus some parachute slk ones for very warm weather and dossing at teh beach or anywhere I can hang it.

The HH you can sleep on your side with it and it comes as a complete kit (Tarp, ropes the lot) plus you cant fall out of a HH. you can put a pad in but it tends to move around.

The DD is good as you can put the pad inbetween the layers or you can get inside it for some kind of shelter but is good with a tarp.

This is a good site to look at for advice http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html

Thats my 10p worth

no link with HH or DD just a happy camper fnarr fnarr.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I actually find you have a greater range of comfortable sleeping positions in a hammock than you do in a bed, once you get the hang of it (if you'll pardon the pun).

You can use a mat, but it's not as effective as an underblanket. It'll do the job until you get one though... ;)

I have a metal frame in my spine and just cannot sleep on my back in a bed. Just too painfull. In a hammock I can sleep half on my side/back no problems, or fully on my side, diagonally, almost anyway. At the moment I can sleep for maybe 1-3hrs max at a time in a bed due to pain, however in a hammock last year I slept for 11 hours in one go! The longest sleep I had in years.

You need to experiment and find out what the best way to set it up is for you. Once you get it right...then you'll never look back.

TK max were selling parachute hammocks for around £10 before xmas. Make your own there's nothing to them.

WS

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ill stick a vote in for the group buy hammocks from here, very comfy and its my best nights sleep in the woods hammocking. If its very very cold i go back to the floor.

Gailainne

Life Member
CIMG0031.jpg

I slept like a baby in that set up at the new year meet at Comriecroft, toasty at -4.6 deg C.

I have a second gen DD a HH expedition (just sold) and my latest is a Blackbird from a enterprising guy in the States, (the one in the pic).

I dont have WS back problems but I have lower back and shoulder aches and pains, (I sleep on a very expensive memory foam mattress at home), believe me a hammock gives a better nights sleep.

But; you must get used to it, you must set it up properly, you must use insulation underneath. (you can see a Wanderinstar underblanket in my set up). In the background is Graham_s set up trying out Wanderinstars pod.

I can sleep on my back or either side in the Blackbird and feel comfortable whatever, its a very flat lie.

But DD's are good, very affordable, easy to set up, and a good basic hammock which will do you all year.

Stephen

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Andy2112,
I've gone through this process as well so here's my 2p worth;

1) First off, which hammock ? ie quality and price etc - I have a 2007 camping DD hammock which I find fine.

2) How easy are they to put up ? - Very, but most people change the standard tape setup to include a carabiner at the hammock ends so that any rain doesn't run down the ropes and into your hammock. (budget £7 each for the carabiners).

3) How comfortable are they, bearing in mind i can't sleep on my back as i have to sleep on my side? - Very.

4) Are they warm enough without the underblanket? - Depends, but I prefer to be warm so I use an underblanket.

5) Will a full length self inflating mat fit in one? - Pass; never used one.

6) Does anyone know if they do a 'factory seconds' one or has anybody got two but only needs one and would be willing to sell it to me at a rock bottom price as i am a tightar$e? - I thought that DD did seconds? Check on ebay.

7) Can anyone else think of anything i've forgotten to ask? - Yes, how do you make an under blanket - see this thread where a few designs are discussed and I posted how to make my one for just over £10. If you follow my design I would reccommend that you make yours 1m wide as a minimum as 0.8m wide really isn't quite wide enough.

Chris

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I think my answers will be more or less the same; but anyway here we go:

First off, which hammock ? Like others say, DDhammocks are the cheapest. They are functional, light and good with no frills. If you're under 6 foot the DD Scout hammock is only about £20-00. Next one up is the camping hammock (both these have a layer where you can insert the inflatable mat). The top of the range is the DD Travel hammock with in built mossie net (about £38-00)

How easy are they to put up ? Simple. Find two sturdy trees about 4-5 paces apart and tie the tapes around the tree in a bow. Test for strength before you get in it.

How comfortable are they, bearing in mind i can't sleep on my back as i have to sleep on my side? Very comfortable. I prefer to sleep on my side. Tie the hammock taut and straight (perhaps with the head end a bit higher) and curl up. You'll need practice getting in the sleeping bag,

Are they warm enough without the underblanket ? Yes. I've been out in -6C in a hammock. The trick is to get a good inflatable mat (Thermarest or Exped Synmat 7.) Underblankets are too much to carry for me. If necessary put extra natural material (bracken leaves) in a black bin bag and spread it around the lower back area.

Will a full length self inflating mat fit in one ? Yes. You might find they slip around a bit, but velcro or a little bit of non-slip mat (like for caravans) will stop that.

Does anyone know if they do a 'factory seconds' one or has anybody got two but only needs one and would be willing to sell it to me at a rock bottom price as i am a tightar$e ?
Check DDhammocks. They usually have some seconds.

Have a look at these vids. They may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHFupZjmZo&feature=PlayList&p=BF94E120A1D2AE59&index=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2BjrqIzaY&feature=channel

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards the DD travel hammock, is it wise to get the tarp to go with it as well ? I've got a Decathlon tarp but it has no ridge loops so that's why i asked about the dd tarp also.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards the DD travel hammock, is it wise to get the tarp to go with it as well ? I've got a Decathlon tarp but it has no ridge loops so that's why i asked about the dd tarp also.

I don't know about the decathlon tarp, but the trick is to get a tarp slightly longer than the hammock. The DD travel hammock is 2.75m long so you will nedd a 3m long tarp (or get wet feet) I like the new DD tarp. It's light and cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miz1gtzIIWw&feature=related

Pablo.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I don't know about the decathlon tarp, but the trick is to get a tarp slightly longer than the hammock. The DD travel hammock is 2.75m long so you will nedd a 3m long tarp (or get wet feet) I like the new DD tarp. It's light and cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miz1gtzIIWw&feature=related

Pablo.

Cheers Pablo, the decathlon tarp is 3 x 3 metres so it should be ok. The only thing that's bothering me is the fact that it has no ridge loops so getting it tight might cause me a problem, or isn't it a problem ? I'm new to this you see.

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The new improved DD 3x3 is good Andy.

A good reason for having the ridgeline loops is so you can tie prusics on for tensioning the tarp

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I wondering if there a terminology difference going on here;

I call these ridge loops

2995314775_81993a9231.jpg

These are edge loops (which happen to be where we've decided the ridge will be);

2995311531_d0a17be6b2.jpg

I'm sorry I'm such a nit picking git :slap: but the old one didn't have any ridge loops (there was one on the inside) either, you ran the tarp line under the tarp via a couple of edge tabs. You can also rig it corner to corner.

Again sorry for being a nit picker but it's the edge loops you use to get it tight and the decathlon must have these right??

Cheers,

Alan

Gailainne

Life Member
My new tarp doesnt have ridge loops either, just edge loops. However its doesnt really change how I set-up just how I attach things.

Ridge line strug up 3mm dyneema 463kg breaking strain.
CIMG0018.jpg

Which I tighten with Hitchcrafts (gives me a 2:1 mechanical advantage)
CIMG0032.jpg

How I attach this style of tarp to the ridgeline is the same as Chainsaw, slung over the top of the ridge line and tensioned with prusiks
Only difference is I use bungee rather than rope.

Cheers

Stephen

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
For a tarp I use one of these. Can't complain about the price or quality and they are nice and light.

Actually I use two, one for the hammock and one for my kit (as I like to be comfy) but I started using just one and tying my kit to a ridgeline under the tarp which meant that everything banged into my legs during the night.

Chris

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
mate the best tarp of the lot is a true north outdoor big tarp and the reason i say this is that it is massive at 4 X 3.5 and well it has a out side ridge line and outskirt edge hangers butunfortunatly it is nearly eighty qui but i got mine cheeper due to buying it with a group buy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE