hammock question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ok i picked up a DD scout hammock which i dont plan to use for camping but to set up as a semi permanent garden dwelling for lazying about next to my fire pit. Going to set in some posts and shackles in spring, my question is this model (maybe all do i have no experience of them to be honest) has a double layer is that for strength or is it for a mat to go underneath or is it mean as a cover like a cocoon? and if so is it ok over your face i.e. breathable?

my gut tells me its for a mat but im not sure...:confused:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well your right twice, you can use it as a cocoon but generally I think its purpose is a matt pocket. It'll be fine to breathe through, although laying on your front in a hammock might make your back a little upset with you! :D

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just coppied this from DD hammocks site.. in the more info for the product

"DD Camping Hammocks - come with 2 zippers (on 1 zip) for easy entry/ exit and strong webbing attached.

The DD Camping Hammock is lightweight, compact and comfortable.

Its features include a two layer design which allows cocoon-like sleeping. Alternatively, you can lie out in the open (on top of both layers) with the option to put a thermarest/pad between the layers as insulation in winter.
Sets up/packs up in under a minute and packs away into stuff sack provided (size when packed approx 30cm x 10cm)."

Hope it helps

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just coppied this from DD hammocks site.. in the more info for the product

"DD Camping Hammocks - come with 2 zippers (on 1 zip) for easy entry/ exit and strong webbing attached.

The DD Camping Hammock is lightweight, compact and comfortable.

Its features include a two layer design which allows cocoon-like sleeping. Alternatively, you can lie out in the open (on top of both layers) with the option to put a thermarest/pad between the layers as insulation in winter.
Sets up/packs up in under a minute and packs away into stuff sack provided (size when packed approx 30cm x 10cm)."

Hope it helps

Heres the link
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/camping-hammock?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
cool thanks, although there are no zippers on my model ill have a look at the site. I was worried that one skin would not be strong enough to sleep inside it and perhaps it was just for a padding mat..

The scout hammock is the little brother of the camping hammock.
I got one for my son last month.
It is shorter than the camping hammock and there is no zip or Velcro between the layers.
He is fine in it as he's only 11 and I can fit in - but I'm so much more comfy in a 'full length' hammock.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
aye its just for casual swinging in the garden ooer i was aware its a little shorter and im within the weight limit but for the cost it seemed more comfy than a net hammock.

going to sink some fence post with shackles on them so i can hang it when the mood takes me next to the fire pit and even have enough height on the posts to rig my tarp to... cant wait to get it sorted but cant put any funds into it until after JC's Birthday

Completely understand -just wanted you have all the facts... you're not missing s zip ;)

Incidentally, I found it comfier laying in Jacob's with my legs outside the hammock as it's less restricting on length.

Please excuse the floordrobe.. I have fathered a boy who unpacks everything!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE