Hammock or one man Tent..??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Just sold a rather large tent. A tent so large clowns have been seen coming and going in cars that i very much doubt would pass a MOT.

It was bought as a family tent but family all gown up now so no need for it.

i have a two man tent that i drag along with me when i go camping but as i dont drive, i'm finding i really need to lighten the load as i get older...
Just the thought of lugging that same stuff i lugged last year is seriously putting me off from my annual jaunt around the highlands this year...so i'm in the market for either a Hammock or a one man tent.

I have a few requirements as far as the Hammock goes, it has to have a fly mesh to keep out midges. The mesh must hold up to give me room to read and stuff, also i would prefer one that i can close up in bad weather (waterproof) and for privacy, as i like to leave all my stuff stored in it when i head out fishing or to the local ale houses in the chosen area.

The one man tent just needs to be lightweight and of good construction and waterproof with enough room for my rucksack at my feet or somewhere.

I would go with the sleeping bag, tarp and bivvy bag combo to cut down on the weight, but as i said previously, it doesn't allow me much privacy...ie, wrong uns can see yer stuff when you are not around.

Any suggestions..?
Cheers.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
DD Travel hammock and tarp for me anyday anyweather, ticks all the boxes you mentioned

ShooTa

Oct 9, 2014
N Wales
lightwieght with bug net - uk hammocks woodsman X - my current hammock of choice - comes in 2 forms siongle layer and double layer (if u want a pad/ are of a heavier nature.)

Wandjina

Mar 28, 2015
U.K.
Likewise with GGTBod - just switched from tents to DD travel hammock and tarp - really versatile and fairly lightweight if you use the whoopee slings and paracord instead of webbing and bungees for setup. The hammock can be set up as a decent sized bivvy and if you have a 3x3 tarp you can basically set it up as an enclosed tent flysheet if you want to. Having said that, plenty of good tents out there. It depends on budget as much as anything.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I was looking at this for a tent...£30...what's not to like.
40209-2303151329422061507343_zpsrwhtlvfm.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not cheap and often discussed on here. But in my solo days tripping around my Hilleberg Atko was my best friend. For normal one man camping I'd usually say a two man tent. But my Atko was light, very.strong and would take my ample frame with gear no problem.
Travelled a lot of Scotland on bike and foot with it. And in all weathers in valleys and up in the mountains in winter when off looking for verticle ice.
Well worth a shuftie.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hammocks arent for everyone and doing it lightweight can get expensive. The only hammock i know of thats enclosed and readily available in the uk is the DD jungle hammock. But lightweight, it aint.

I'v got a similar design tent to your pic above. the bug net in mine is quite saggy and really reduces headroom, just something to check
Mine also pitches inner first which is less than ideal

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
I was looking at this for a tent...£30...what's not to like.
40209-2303151329422061507343_zpsrwhtlvfm.jpg

Like all the Gelert Solo style tents the interior is quite short, give you the headroom of your average coffin and tends not to have much gear storage.
Though iirc the Soloista is slightly different in giving you access from the inner to the space under the fly opposite the door.

Its somewhere between a tent and a bivi bag.

Edit: BTW beware of the poles, although I haven't had it happen a lot of people say they've broken theirs.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
It's not the cheapest on the market but I use a snugpack ionosphere. Plenty of room inside for me, my pack and boots. Can be partly opened up whilst leaving the mozzy netting zipped up and best of all it will fit inside a 30L daypack with my sleeping bag and inflatable mat (mind you the last two are very small and lightweight plus there's not much room for anything else but you get my point)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hammocks arent for everyone and doing it lightweight can get expensive. The only hammock i know of thats enclosed and readily available in the uk is the DD jungle hammock. But lightweight, it aint.

DD do a lightweight jungle now but as sunndog it ain't going to be cheap

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE