Hammock mods - worth it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I've read that the dyneema fibres in the core suffer from being crushed in the Garda hitch and it causes the cord to lose its strength. Also it seems that the pressure of the hitch just causes thin cord to degrade in general.

It's all to what you want. Dyneema is good and most people use but it takes longer to set up and get it right plus there is more parts to remember. The ring and webbing is one setup but it's heavier. Mines more so because I've got heavy duty webbing but I know it won't fail on me and you can't forget anything being attached to the hammock at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve cnaged to whooies and crabs using Straps and marlins spikes, makes for easy set up.

One of teh main reasons most of the peep's in know change the webbing is becuase of the strech in teh standard stuff.. its a pain..

Dazza247guv

Jan 6, 2014
Maidenhead
I cut my standard webbing, making a loop at the hammock end with water knots. Use the length of webbing remaining with figure eight loops in the ends.
Attach one end to the tree using an event hitch at the required length, the other end round the tree and looped through itself.

Connect to the hammock with a carabiner each end ( water break) and adjust by folding the webbing through the crab, and tensioning it on itself secured with a hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
A good mod is to use your tarp attatchment points to run a couple of inches of cord inwards under the tarp with mini carabiners on the end. You can then clip your bug net bungee cords to these mini carabiners.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Sorry, I'm following this with interest having just bought a hammock myself but I don't quite get what you mean there David?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
on the ridge of most tarps the outside hanging tapes, put a small Crab on it and then you can hang your bug net from them with a bit of shock cord :)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Like most i have modded using 25mm webbing straps (for a group buy here) and a couple of whoopies, i also take a few climbing rated crabs but more often then not i just use a finger-thick-stick instead. I'm not one for running a ridgeline under the tarp as it gives another route for water, running a ridge in the Frontline instead is a lot easier (for me).

Swjoergensen

Mar 17, 2013
Denmark
I have a DD frontline as well, and it's absolutely worth it changing the suspension. I made some 6 feet whoopie slings. Larksheaded the fixed loop through the endchannel of the hammock. I then use treestraps around the tree, and tie a marlinspike hitch, using some aluminium tubes as toggles. Slip the adjustable end of the whoopie over the marlinspike hitch and you're done.

The whoopie stays attached to the hammock all times. If it rains, I can string my tarp up, attach treestraps and tie the marlinspikes, and then unpack and hood up the hammock, keeping it completely dry. For dripstop I tie slippery half-hitches with the tail of the whoopie sling. Total is a really easy and light setup with no need for bulky carabiner dripstop :)

For the bugnetting mentioned. I would also not risk tying to the rings on the tarp. The risk of a serious rain running down the shockcord and to the netting makes it impractical in my opinion. I have been running the shockcord from the bugnet to the ends of the hammock. Doesn't keep it fully expanded, but works well enough for me.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'm not one for running a ridgeline under the tarp as it gives another route for water, running a ridge in the Frontline instead is a lot easier (for me).

I ve fitted an internal Ridge line that is not effected by the rain, this ridge line is suspended in three parts so I can fold in and shorten the tarp is requitred and still have the ridge line :), and have a ridgeline storage thing that I made,

Bungie

Dec 16, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Worth doing, I have whoopie slings on DD frontline hammock, tree hunger and marlin spike. Snake skin over hammock. Very quick and easy to put up and pull down.
Run a dyneema ridge line above my hoochie, using prusik knot to tension it. With 6" of shock cord on my guy ropes as suspension.
I have slept through some very big Queensland storms in this and stayed bone dry.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Me too - one for my tarp, one for my hammock.

They are just so handy, cant see the point of having somethign that will unravel in the Rucksack or something you haver to then pack into another stuff sack :)...

I got one for my 3x3 yet to make one for my 4x4 :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
They are just so handy, cant see the point of having somethign that will unravel in the Rucksack or something you haver to then pack into another stuff sack :)...

I got one for my 3x3 yet to make one for my 4x4 :)

Ditto - very quick to deploy too and pack way smaller - I found snakeskins made it hard to compress the hammock into a stuff sack. Also with your tarp you can bunch it back up into the bish bag on a nice day and leave it on the ridgeline like a football.

Bungie

Dec 16, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I have tried Snake Skins, but I like Bishop bags better :)

Each to their own :)

I like the idea i can drop the snakeskin on the ground in the mud etc when setting up and not get my hammock dirty. The skin then gets in a stuff pack

My hoochie has its own stuff bag, it stays around the hoochie like the soccer ball analogy above, while stringing my ridge line as the ridge line runs though it. Again it means i can set it up with out it hitting the ground :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE