DD Travel Hammock Review – July 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
I read parts of the long thread on these hammocks on the Hammock forum today and felt that another unbiased view from my experience would help give a balanced view of the product. I live in France so have no connection to the company.
When I wanted a hammock at the end of last year, I looked around the web to see what was out there. I saw the Hennessys at over £100, but didn’t really care for the underneath entry…I looked at the US models (particularly like the Warbonnet blackbird…) but these are not readily available in Europe. Then a mate told me about his DD Travel hammock that he was very pleased with. So I scoured the net for info which was pretty favourable on the whole.
When I ordered I was pretty much aware of the advantages and the shortcomings of the hammock and what I received was exactly what I expected.
I found mine to be well made, not too many threads and sewing sloppiness others had commented on. One or two but nothing I’d really gripe about. I checked all around and no issues were apparent.
I didn’t even bother with the supplied webbing. I removed it straight away and tied up with some 4mm climbing chord on each end. (Lighter, stronger and less bulky than the webbing supplied.) These I attached to my tree huggers with a marlin spike hitch. (Thanks for the help Grizz on Hammock Forums). The set up was very nice, quick and easy.
I added a DD Camo Tarp set up as Dave Canterbury illustrates on his youtube site, in a diamond pattern. Works great!!
With a thermorest and sleeping bag opened as a top quilt I’ve been good to go!
Ok now the nitty gritty…likes and dislikes!!
I saw guys saying these were junk hammocks. I must say I can’t agree. The one I received in June 2011 was fine. No hidden surprises.
• bug net
• general comfort
• versatility… can use it as a bivvi if needed
• Pockets inside
• Double sided entry.
• The sleeves make putting it away a doddle.

Dislikes:
• Suspension… a couple of lengths of Amsteel or even just climbing chord would be better than the rubbish webbing supplied. This is mentioned by just about every single review I’ve read. Be it just adding a carabineer or replacing the whole shooting match. I’d suggest to Nick it needs attention.
• I got two whoopie slings for £12 which might be an additional item he could supply on his site, even if it’s at extra cost. While I appreciate everything has to meet a production cost, to add a suspension system most people bin seems a waste of time.
• I was surprised looking at the videos of the product they advocated using sticks to tension the bug net. Could a cheap system not be supplied? This is a minor point and now I’m used to cutting a twig, no real hassle. I was just surprised. Seemed like a bit was missing. Again coming into cost is a consideration. Add too many bits and your base price rises too much!!

Conclusion:
For me this is a great budget level hammock. The level of sewing was just fine on my version.. Ok! one of the Velcro tabs is coming slightly undone.. but hey! That is being really nitpicking. No sign of the mozzie net tabs breaking… and I’ve tensioned them and stuck sticks through them… All in perfect working order.
All in all a very versatile, comfortable and compact hammock. I’ve done around 20 nights in it so far and sleep wonderfully. I have used it with the DD Camo Tarp and been totally satisfied. Once I got a suspension I liked sorted I found it quick and easy to set up…(I have ordered whoopie slings…I’ll have to see if they are more of a gadget than a true advantage.)
I’ve read about the condensation issue on the non breathable fabric, but so far have not seen it to be a real problem. Yes I’ve had some dampness, mostly by my feet (guess I have sweaty feet) but it’s not critical and not something that would prevent me using the hammock. I use it with a thermorest in the layered pocket, so I question the actual breathability of say a “Frontline” used with the same mat???
Some of the comments I’ve read seem pretty unfair. This is a very well thought-out and practical hammock that comes in at under 50 quid!!! Ok it should do what it says on the box and from what I’ve seen Nick strives to see his customers are satisfied. But it seems unfair to slate it when other products cost three or four times the price.
Happy Hanging
Cheers
Gareth

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Great review. I know what you mean about the webbing, its terrible stuff. I would rather pay a few quid more to have some good quality stuff in there considering thats whats stopping me from going 'thump'.

stonecutter

Feb 23, 2008
Nth London
Thanks for the review I am just in the, shall i shan’t i stage as to buy a hammock and tarp set up so the more info the better! I was surprised at just how big and heavy a full set up is. I was hoping to cut down on the weight & bulk of my tent. Cheers Paul

garethw

Settler
Thanks for the review I am just in the, shall i shan’t i stage as to buy a hammock and tarp set up so the more info the better! I was surprised at just how big and heavy a full set up is. I was hoping to cut down on the weight & bulk of my tent. Cheers Paul
Go for it.. you'll not regret it.. I've been camping all my life in tents, carp fishing bivies and bedchairs, campervans etc and I can say that the hammock and tarp set up is my favourite of the lot.
Not sure which tent you have... but my hammock and tarp weighs about 1.6kgs combined. Both fit neatly in my backpack anlong with the rest of the gear. As I'd need a mat and sleeping bag anyway I don't count them in this.
The advantage of the DD Travel hammock & tarp set up, is you can easily turn it into a tent.
cheers
Gareth

stonecutter

Feb 23, 2008
Nth London
Hi Gareth my tent is a phoenix phunnel that weighs in 3.75kg. Although it was bought some time ago it has hardly seen any action it’s a quality bit of kit and it was built to last.
No i was just a bit surprised as i say when i popped into the shop and felt the weight and the size of the bundles.
I will take the plunge just to see what it’s like, my other concern is i always sleep on my side i just can’t see how it is possible to do that in a hammock? Although i am assured by all the tree hangers out there that it is! Cheers Paul

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I have a DD Hammock and I use a Snugpak underquilt/duvet set up, its a fine hammock to start off with. The webbing isn't the best, but works, I do find it not to be wide enough at times when I am shifting about in the middle of the night, and it makes it difficult for me to sleep on my side ( on a diagonal ). I do love Hammocking though and I am looking for a wider one now.

garethw

Settler
Hi Gareth my tent is a phoenix phunnel that weighs in 3.75kg. Although it was bought some time ago it has hardly seen any action it’s a quality bit of kit and it was built to last.
No i was just a bit surprised as i say when i popped into the shop and felt the weight and the size of the bundles.
I will take the plunge just to see what it’s like, my other concern is i always sleep on my side i just can’t see how it is possible to do that in a hammock? Although i am assured by all the tree hangers out there that it is! Cheers Paul
Hi Paul,
There's a lot written on the web about hammock sleeping. Firstly if you hang it right...takes a bit of practice! You can lie virtually flat on a diagonal. Despite what I read I don't like to tighten the hammock too tight, as I find it tends to compress my shoulders and they go to sleep. In this configuration you are not uncomfortable.
Funnily enough I'm a front/side sleeper at home, but have had no trouble sleeping on my back in a hammock. The experts say that in a bed we all try to find a position where the pressure points effect us the least. I toss and turn for a long while in bed, but more often than not I lie on my back and sleep on a hammock.
There are a lot of misconceptions about hammocks: check out this series of articles that help explain why they are so good...http://www.treklightgear.com/TrekLife/index.php/2010/10/angle-relax-sleep-comfortably-hammock/
cheers
Gareth

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
HI All,

I've had a DD Travel now for 2/3 months and had about a dozen nights out. Never had a hammock before other than ones in the garden so the children can act as punka wallers and fetch G&Ts! However I am totally happy with the DD. I have found moisture at my foot end (this wasn't a surprise as the Travel is waterproof and ground sheet strong - buy why only at my feet?). I bought a tarp and storm ring straps from 10th Wonder. I ring hitch the storm ring straps round a tree and then siberian hitch the hammock to the ring. This avoinds water running the length of the webbing and having camped in UK monsoons I've not had any problems so I guess it works. Also allows very quick release.

Having set my 3m x 3m tarp up both diamond and square the only issue is getting trees far enough apart for the diamond set up and not too far apart for the hammock webbing + storm rings. I initially set it up with long reach and the elasticity was too much and whilst the hammock was 4ft off the ground my **** nearly scrapped the ground - so I'd agree the original webbing is not too good.

Regarding sleep I've used a 3/4 thermarest and a light weight 2 season sleeping bag and found it supremely comfortable and very warm (too warm at times).

One simple solution I've used is the taking the 3-4mm bungee cord supplied with the tarp and tie that into a loop add a £1 GoOutdoors plastic carabiner and fix the loop onto the mossie net hanger and then the carabiner onto the storm ring. This means that whatever set up of the tarp (over / under ridge line) I can pull the net away (adding a stick does help to broaden it out). I use a Farrimond/Cawley friction hitch to tension the ridge line.

I'm helping with my son's Scout group and I've recommended them to the group, although I'd get the Scout version and let them get bitten by mossies etc as I think the saving for them far out weighs the advantage and I'm not sure any mossie-net would stand up to Scout type abuse/neglect/accidents!

I'm just under 6ft and medium build and I sleep at a slight angle to begin with where I end up is a mystery and I've never tipped out/crushed my shoulders etc. My son is 12 years and he's never had a problem.

I didn't consider the Hennessey but having spoken to Jason at Woodland-Ways he raves about them but only because he spends many nights in one and its worth the investement.

Hope that helps the consideration process.

Jules

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
Forgot to say I also have a Vango 300 (I think) 2+ Man tent and this set up is less than half the size weight (well is should be shouldn't it!!!).

Jules

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have a DD Hammock twin layer, not water proof and no bug net, had it for five years now and its brilliant, never failed to get a good nights sleep, just moved to whoopie(ish) slings and modded an issue jungle bag into a pod(gonna do the same to an arctic bag for winter), nice and light kit, no faults in mine at all, Great kit and great price!

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
Interesting that other people find the condensation at the foot end also. I mostly use my Nomads Land XXL but have used my DD Travel a few times recently and both times had condensation at the foot end. I don't think this is specific to the DD Travel as when I use my Blizzard Survival Tube over my XXL hammock I also get some condensation at the foot end. Does anyone have any theories on why this is the case? Could it be that the air around your body is warmed by your torso as is the inside material of the hammock body, hence no condensing of the breath. When your warm breath reaches the bottom of the hammock, there isn't as much heat radiating from your legs to heat the material to the same point as higher up so your breath condenses on the inside. Any other theories? Solutions? Haven't tried yet but perhaps venting with the zips would work. Perhaps opening the foot end zips a few inches would work.

I agree with the review also. It's a good hammock, not as comfy as the NomadsLand, but you get a built in bug net, pockets etc.

stonecutter

Feb 23, 2008
Nth London
Hi Paul,
There's a lot written on the web about hammock sleeping. Firstly if you hang it right...takes a bit of practice! You can lie virtually flat on a diagonal. Despite what I read I don't like to tighten the hammock too tight, as I find it tends to compress my shoulders and they go to sleep. In this configuration you are not uncomfortable.
Funnily enough I'm a front/side sleeper at home, but have had no trouble sleeping on my back in a hammock. The experts say that in a bed we all try to find a position where the pressure points effect us the least. I toss and turn for a long while in bed, but more often than not I lie on my back and sleep on a hammock.
There are a lot of misconceptions about hammocks: check out this series of articles that help explain why they are so good...http://www.treklightgear.com/TrekLife/index.php/2010/10/angle-relax-sleep-comfortably-hammock/
cheers
Gareth

Hi Gareth, thanks for the info and the link i shall have a read up on the subject. Cheers Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE