Hammock materials question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yes, I have broken my tailbone before and I like being able to sit down. Its under-rated :)

The 5x ratio comes from people who know far more than me about the stuff, its a well accepted guideline on HF. Many have snapped paracord.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
So would you advise against the use of paracord Teepee? i suppose the weight on the anchor points is only equal to your body weight if you are perfectly stationary and your weight is exactly evenly distributed, the 5x allows for deceleration of any movement your body may acquire (like swinging or sharp movements) during use

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I wouldn't use paracord. It's not meant for the job.

The 5mm cord I'm talking about comes from climbing shops. 5.5kN (550Kg to you and me) breaking strain.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Exactly mate. Add into that UV, chemical, abrasion damage, weakening by knots and whiskey and the 5-1 margin doesn't look so big.

Proper paracord doubled is ok though.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
ok i think im gona go for a couple of maillons as theyre quite cheap, does anyone know where to buy insect mesh fabric by the metre?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Fabrics n stuff do some 'aircraft fabric' which weighs 0.8 oz/sq yd, im using it for bug net and UQ baffles.

'Totally herby' do really light stuff , and point-north sell it by the metre too.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I reckon you could probably create a sock design from it - passing the hammock strap through the center of the top and stitching into a tube gathering it at the other end.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
the sock idea sounds like a winner, as long as there is enough length there to cover the entire length of the hammock, i was going to make the hammock 3m long and this netting is 2.4m in its longest part however the some of the length of the hammock will be used up in lashing and also reduced by its natural sag, do you think i could get away with it?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No mate, I think it'll come short, but sewing some short ripstop panels on the end would give you the extra length and some extra wind and rain protection to boot, just where its needed at the ends of the hammock. Nikwax them or use pertex etc and you will have a great bug net.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
lol :p touche, so you want me to bring the food, the stove, cook the food (to perfection) AND bring the sauce??? its all take take take with you lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE